Ill chicken's in need of assistance

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sweetpea9180, Dec 28, 2016.

1. sweetpea9180

sweetpea9180 Just Hatched

Dec 28, 2016
    I have some birds that have the watery runs, some that are normal, distended and over full crops and one that seems lethargic. Photo attached and the others are picking on thus one. Her comb and waddles are getting dark and don't stand up well. I've tried keeping her warm and using vet ex in the water and on her chest.

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy sweetpea9180 Sorry, there are no images attached?

I am definitely not an expert when it comes to what ails chickens but the below are a couple of poop charts that may help:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html

Something that does come to mind is either sour or impacted crop:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Further information that you could provide to help others hopefully diagnose her issue:

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

I hope you are able treat her and she makes a full recovery.

3. sweetpea9180

Dec 28, 2016

4. sweetpea9180

Dec 28, 2016
    Since I posted this, the one that has been the most ill, may not make it through the night. She did pop and the crop did go down, but she may not make it through the night. I've massaged her and she is not responding. She could not function.

Back to the others, egg production is 1 to 3 eggs from 8 hens. I thought it wad my grape vine and the birds got into the enclosure and ate a bunch of them over the summer before I could fix the fencing. They eat scratch in am and 20% lay pellets, and forage in the back yard. From the charts of pop they fall into the normal, but some have what I call dirty butts from having runny stools.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry you are having trouble.

Can you post some photos?

The one that is very ill, how does her abdomen feel? Any bloat, feeling of fullness?
    How old are your hens?
    Have you every wormed your flock?

Do you suspect she has an impacted crop - any sour smelling breath?

Separate the sickest and make sure she stays hydrated.

If you have a vet available that can perform a fecal float to see if they have internal parasites (worms) that may be helpful.

Keep us posted.

6. sweetpea9180

Dec 28, 2016
    There are no avian vets in the county and she did pass away late last night. Will keep a close eye on the other birds. I have a mixed flock of production reds, blk ortho loos, WHT leg horn, Easter Eggers now a total of 8 hens and a rooster that is a LG Rhode Island red. Most are over 4 yes old and 3 are under 3. Free range birds with 20% lay pellet in feeder and they get hen scratch in am. Table scraps, bugs and (grasses, seasonal at present).

7. sweetpea9180

Dec 28, 2016
    I had not wormed them recent lyrics, but did yesterday, but not the sick bird.

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.

It's hard to determine the cause of death without a necropsy. If you have another that get sick suddenly and passes, then I recommend sending it to your state lab for testing. This will let you know if you are dealing with a preventable issue, a disease, old age, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by