Ill cuckoo maran

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nwoods01, Aug 8, 2011.

1. nwoods01

nwoods01 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    I have a 3mo old cuckcoo maran that has an on going sneeze(or cough) and now you can hear rail or a rasp when listening to it breath, also my other chickens have tried to peck it's left eye out twice. I have treated with powder teryamyacin(bad spelling) in the water it has not worked I would try something else if I knew what to use or what i'm treating. Are the other chickens attacking because it is sick? and is the cough(sneeze) pneumonia? None of my other chickens are sick. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:I might be going through a similar thing, except mine is not raspy (may just be something stuck in nasal passage) but I have read a billion posts on illness. I tried Tylan 50. Got it at tractor supply and gave her about .20 ml of it. I gave it orally. I would separate her too... even though its sad to do it since they like to be together, but you dont want your other chicks to get sick. Is there goop on her eyes? Other chickens can be mean to the sick ones... nature I guess.

3. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Quote:I might be going through a similar thing, except mine is not raspy (may just be something stuck in nasal passage) but I have read a billion posts on illness. I tried Tylan 50. Got it at tractor supply and gave her about .20 ml of it. I gave it orally. I would separate her too... even though its sad to do it since they like to be together, but you dont want your other chicks to get sick. Is there goop on her eyes? Other chickens can be mean to the sick ones... nature I guess.

X2, good advice!

It sounds like she has one of those many respiratory diseases that affect chickens. Is the raspy breathing her only symptom so far? Does she have bubbles in the corners of her eyes, or is her face swelling? If so, you're probably dealing with Coryza or MG.

I agree, Tylan 50 is one of the best to use against respiratory illnesses. I believe with the Tylan 50 you treat two days in a row, wait another day, then giver her a 3rd dosage.

Good luck with her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by