1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ill Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by louandneil, Jul 25, 2011.

1. louandneil

louandneil Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    My duck isn't eating can I syringe feed it anything??

2. Enslaved-by-Ducks

Enslaved-by-Ducks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Need more info please...breed, age, how recent the changes, lame ? Thanks.

3. louandneil

Jun 23, 2011
    Hi yes she is 15 weeks she is very wobbly on het feet, breathing through her mouth and bit of nasal discharge. I took her to the vets this morning and he suspecta Newcastle disease she is on antibiotics but I feel I should feed her something too. I have put a tonic in her water

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Is she just refusing regular feed? What treats does she like? Have you tried peas?

Vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics in water is a good idea. Does the vet have some kind of high-calorie liquid you can use if necessary?

Does she have access 24/7 to water deep enough to dip her entire head into? If not, it could be sinus infection from being unable to rinse out her nares.

5. louandneil

Jun 23, 2011
    Thank u for your reply. Yes she has a large swimming pool enough to swim down to the bottom and round. She doesn't seem interested in her food when I put it up to her and I mashed some of her food up and put it on her beak but she just shook her head. I could try peas, I have some in the garden, do I feed them fresh?

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I feed mine thawed frozen peas. They are fairly soft. I think the freezing half "cooks" them. Perhaps you could steam them lightly to soften them a little, then cool and mash them.

7. louandneil

Jun 23, 2011
    Ok brill I will try that. the vet didn't say anything about her eating, I don't think he is very hopeful. thank you for your advise.

8. Enslaved-by-Ducks

Enslaved-by-Ducks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    So sorry for your duck. I have tried plain yogurt on my animals who feel sick and I swear it works. Yogurt is a natural antibiotic. My ducks LOVE peas, lettuce, watermellon, cantalope, and grapes. I would try a small bowl of mixed ingredients mentioned here with a tbl. spoon of yogurt as a glaze. I don't know if your duck will eat it but it's worth a try.bMy ducks will eat human food over their crumbles any day so it usually works. I would also try spraying your ducks face with a squirt bottle....just mist her face and mabey it will clear out her nasal passages some.
    I hope she gets well. You might also want to bring her indoors and fix a small box with a few towells and let her rest indoors as apposed to being around the other ducks. She may need some alone time to cope...It may also really help with the feeding issues since she will not have other animals bothering her. I housed my pekin indoors for two months after her foot surgery. I filled the bath tub 1/2 way with cool water and she swam and floated in the tub for hours.
    I wish you the best of luck. Animals are amazing with the natural ability to heal. I have had numerous animals near death and they just bounced back on their own...Gods way of helping us out...Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  9. louandneil

Jun 23, 2011
    Thank you so much for your reply. I really good she pulls through as I love her to bits

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Also if you can get her to float or swim in the tub, that will also help to clear out her sinus passages, when she dunks her head under water. Maybe make the water a little on the warm side since she could have a fever, All the best and [​IMG] for full recovery. have you opportunity to get Oxine AH,
    www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by