I'll ducklings

4aylesburys

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2016
Hi everyone I recently posted about my duckling (4weeks old) makes a weird tweet sound an everyone told me it was a boy but today he has started limping, he is eating fine an drinking fine just cant tweet properly and now won't walk an when I push it it limps around the brooder. Also my other duckling is the same age an has lost its appetite. The other two are absolutely fine and very out going but the other two seem to be ill to me. I'm new to owning ducks so I'm looking for some good advice on what to do,could this be due to worms why they're acting different? should I worm them?

If they have been in the brooder, I doubt it's worms.

If you ever think it might be, have a fecal test done.

If you can get the to the vet, I would.

Could you review what they are eating, how big is the brooder, the temperature, how often they get swim time (supervised), any of that.

Loss of appetite is serious. They may have picked up some kind of infection, or need supplemental nutrients.

They have high protein duckling feed everyday and fresh water. I will also feed things like kale, cucumber, strawberries. They also love mealworms so they have a small handful of them once a day also. They have (to me) a good diet and a good variety of different foods which are all good for them. I Havnt measured the brooder but it's a long rectangle and they have lots of room to move around. The chicks were never out with a heat lamp as the farmer kept them all in an outside said and only just a hot water bottle in with them so when I introduced a heat lamp they stayed away from it at all times and wouldn't go near it so I keep by a radiator in my house and at night they have a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel so it doesn't burn them, they stay away from that also !

Last edited:
At a month old and being inside, they likely won't need supplemental heat anymore.
Are you adding niacin to their water or food?
What is the protein % of their food. The first few weeks when they are really growing like weeds, a high protein is fine, but beyond that, it can cause some issues (usually seen as angel wing).
With their snacks, are you providing grit or getting them outside time so they can get some dirt to help with the snacks they are eating?

Theirs feed is 18% protein and no I've never added niacin to their food and water. And no I've read that ducklings should be outside until fully feathered so I've never put them outside or have them grit. Should I start putting them outside onto grass?

I'd start adding niacin to their feed or water. Leg issues are usually a sign of Vitamin B deficiency and can usually be easily corrected with added niacin.
If your other one isn't eating - is the crop full? It shouldn't be if they've not eaten.

When feeding anything other than their crumbles, it is best to offer grit or have them outside so they can get their own "grit" from the ground.

I'll will purchase some niacin! The crop is filled up every morning and all 4 eat apart from one which doesn't really have an appertite he will just watch the other eat, plays with the feed(picks it up and spits it out) or will eat but hardly anything unlike the others

Theirs feed is 18% protein and no I've never added niacin to their food and water. And no I've read that ducklings should be outside until fully feathered so I've never put them outside or have them grit. Should I start putting them outside onto grass?

Depends on the weather, about putting them outside. I used to get chick grit and put a tiny sprinkle on their food - Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks recommends this.

Back
Top Bottom