I'll Fly Away

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Opa, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    In May of 2007 my father passed at the age of 86. There is hardly a day goes by that I don't think of him. It has gotten much easier to accept the fact that he is no longer with us and amazingly his death doesn't bother me like it once did. Tonight Granny was sitting in her favorite chair crocheting and watching a Grand Ole Opry special "How Great Thou Art". It was enjoyable to listen to and many of the old Gospel classics reminded me of my childhood and of how much my father enjoyed leading the choir at his church. I sat there listening and remembering and when they played my Dad's favorite song "I'll Fly Away" I realized why his death no longer bothers me. He has "flown away to Jesus".

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Opa, it really does seem to heal a bit more with time.

Hugs for you! [​IMG]

That song played on the drive towards the cemetery when my mom passed.

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I love the old hymnals! My granny's favorite and mine as well is Old Rugged Cross.
    It takes time but the good Lord helps us heal. [​IMG]

4. henryetta

henryetta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    Quote:i love to hear this:)

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Warm memories like that, and time, are the greatest healers of all. [​IMG] to you, Granny, Hope and the rest of the family.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  6. Hi! If you take the classics to heart, they are a comfort in a time of sorrow.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

7. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I understand. I can't hear "In the Garden" without thinking of my grandmother. It's bittersweet for sure.
    [​IMG]

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Thanks Opa... my dad died at age 86 in January of 2008. I know he is where he is supposed to be.

So glad you could find comfort in the ol' time gospel music.

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Mahoni, as a deacon in his church, my father thought it was his responsiblity to be at the door to greet and welcome everyone as they came in. I often think that he probably asked for the same job when he got to heaven. I'm sure he shook your father's hand and said "Welcome Home".

10. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Opa, [​IMG]

This makes me think of my grandpas; they both passed in the last 2 years. I look forward to meeting them again in Paradise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by