1. carolinacindy

carolinacindy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Elizabeth City
    My african goose isn't acting quite right. He seems weak. This morning everyone was pushing him down. He's better now and he's just nibbling on his feed but loves his water and his greens. Is it alright for him to just eat greens? Can I give him polyvisol or something to help him along? I don't have an avian vet in my area or anywhere close. I'm at a complete loss. Please help, if you can.

Cindy

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    How old is he? Polyvisol without iron should be fine. I don't know alot about geese. Maybe someone else will chime in. good luck

3. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:[​IMG] from KS.
    Cindy, in order for someone more knowledgeable to help you, you need to give more information. Such as age, what do you feed him, does he free range, enviroment etc.etc.. I hope some one can help. I'm just learning myself.
    good luck and again welcome to the coop.

4. threehorses

threehorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    I would definitely offer him a vitamin/mineral supplement in his water. For his feed, are you feeding him a complete feed? Something you can soak and give to him, like a damp mash? I found that when my geese were weak (from a dog attack) they would eat their crumbles wetted though not dry. I'd try that.

I'd try to get him back to a normal diet of his complete feed, and of course as they eat a lot of grass, keep giving him his greens.

I'd second that more information is needed but this should get you started. I'd also check every inch of his body, literally, for a wound that perhaps he has - or injury. Goose down is thick and hides those things greatly.

Also look around - see if he could have gotten into stagnant water, compost, maggots, old veggies, sour feed, etc.

5. carolinacindy

Oct 24, 2008
    Elizabeth City
    My goose is probably around 2 years old. I've only had him a year now. I wonder if he eat some plywood or something like that. He's acting pretty good now. He was an hour ago. I'm going to try the mash. He's just picking at the feed. (Purina layena and he eats some Grower that I have for the month old geese (I Noticed). He used to love corn not now won't touch it.) He loves the greens and he's started pecking again at those who peck at him. I hope he's coming back around but I haven't given him any vitamins yet.

I'll get them tommorrow.
    I bought the poly vi sol but afraid to give it to him because everyone will drink the water too.

Cindy

6. threehorses

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    Quote:Just give him the polyvisol in his beak. The vitamins in polyvisol are oil vitamins anyway and they degrade quickly in water.

I'd give him about 8 drops, or just wait til tomorrow. Sounds like he might be doing better.

7. carolinacindy

Oct 24, 2008
    Elizabeth City
    Hi!

Well, he is much better today! Now my gosling is ill. She's eating her feed and a little grass. I put vitamins in the water and everyone but her are drinking it. I'm going to try to open her bill and give her 4 drops of the polyvisol. Hope she'll get better. I haven't had any sick geese until 3 days ago. This is worrying me.

Cindy

8. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:You might want to do another inspection around your yard and make sure there is no standing water or something they may have gotten into. Or do geese get the24 flu like us? I hope they all stay well.

9. threehorses

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    I agree with Henry... when that happens, it's time to look for compost, standing water, some feed that spilled somewhere, stop feeding the corn (or at least make sure there's absolutely no smell of mustiness if you stick your head in the feed bin), etc.

Also make sure they all have clean fresh water that they can dunk their entire heads in every day to wash out their sinuses.

But I'm leaning towards them eating something that was off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by