ill Goose

Borderman1959

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 4, 2013
Scottish Borders
Hi there
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.
I have a male and female goose both are quite young and are great together. In the spring she laid 9 eggs then went broody. Unfortunately none hatched I thing it was due to the cold weather.
Two days ago the female seems to have gone off her legs. I found her outside her house but had to lift her in. I can not see anything wrong with her legs. She is still eating and drinking a little and at times seems very alert. I was wondering if this could be a vitamin deficiency or could she have twisted herself.
Does anyone have any ideas. I hope she will recover as she is a lovely goose and I would hate to have to put her down.

Thanks

Borderman1959

Hi there
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.
I have a male and female goose both are quite young and are great together. In the spring she laid 9 eggs then went broody. Unfortunately none hatched I thing it was due to the cold weather.
Two days ago the female seems to have gone off her legs. I found her outside her house but had to lift her in. I can not see anything wrong with her legs. She is still eating and drinking a little and at times seems very alert. I was wondering if this could be a vitamin deficiency or could she have twisted herself.
Does anyone have any ideas. I hope she will recover as she is a lovely goose and I would hate to have to put her down.

Thanks

Borderman1959
Do you think she may have eaten something toxic? and what are you feeding them? if you think toxic here is a link on how to treat. Please let us know how she is. and if her feed doesn't contain niacin she maybe deficient in it and that can cause leg weakness, but usually you don't see it as often in older geese. But anything is worth a try to save her.

Hi there
I feed her mixed corn, layers pellets and lettuce. How do I get and give her niacin I have never heard of this and will get some.
.This morning she did try to get up so hopefully she is on the mend. I keep the geese with my ducks I don't think she could have go anything toxic..
Thank you Lydia for your help.

Borderman1959

sorry Lydia did not get the link
That's because I forgot to post it, sorry... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

and Niacin can be found at most Pharmacies or large stores like Walmart[doubt you have one of those but something equivalent to one] you may have to ask for it, be sure to get plain Niacin not flush free or time released. Get 500 megs and mix this in 1 gallon of water and let this be her sole drinking water till you noticed her coming around that way you'll know for sure it is a niacin deficiency. you can also use brewers yeast, [not baking] and sprinkle on their feed. 1 Tab to 1 cup of feed. Glad to hear she is doing a lil better, hopefully your even seeing more improvement today. One reason I did mention niacin and brewers yeast is I have an old drake 9yrs, and his legs are giving out on him, in the last 2 months I have been adding brewers yeast to their feed I also have some ducklings I wanted to get into, but he is walking a lot better so I am thinking the B's in the niacin and brewers yeast even helps older water fowl just my observance.

Besides Miss Lydia's help with the niacin and brewer's yeast she might need a little calcium. To replenish what she lost laying the eggs and sitting on the eggs.
The need waterfowl or game bird feed. Geese eat very different from chickens do. So chicken feed is and does not have all the things geese need. Another thing a goose can sit so long on their eggs without coming out it can be hard for them to stand up from sitting so long! Their legs go numb like ours do. Something to think about.
Best of luck with you goose....

Would love to hear an update..
caf.gif

thank you so much for the information. She is still down this morning but is very alert. I have started to give her some goose starter crumbs as well. with everything I am doing I hope it has the desired affect.

thank you so much for the information. She is still down this morning but is very alert. I have started to give her some goose starter crumbs as well. with everything I am doing I hope it has the desired affect.
I hope so too. Can you put her in some water to see how she uses her legs? it also takes the weight off and will help her build muscles back. Laying around will cause her muscles to get weaker which is something you don't want.

Hi all
I am sorry to say that apart from all our efforts she passed away during the night. I would like to thank you all for all the help. I will now try and find another female to put with my gander. He is walking around the run looking for her although he still has the ducks for company.
Thanks again
Graham
Borderman1959

Back
Top Bottom