I'll hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cazza1, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Cazza1

Cazza1 New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    Hi I have 3 chickens had them for about 4weeks one of then has a very pale head and that one was the trouble some one and first jumping out the coop over the fence getting out the garden . And now it looks week . Wormed them putting tonics in they water she's eating in drinking ok but not scavenging like she was . Only one is laying the smallest is 5 weeks younger then the other 2 so give that one time .the one that looks pale has only layd twice and one egg was half a shell and the other one was soft very small. What's wrong

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings and :welcome. Happy you joined us. Not sure what might be up with your flock. How old are they? Make sure the one that's getting out isn't laying outside the coop somewhere. There could be several reasons for the soft shelled egg. Here's a link to an article that discuss egg quality issues https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems
    Good luck to you!

3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there and welcome to Backyard chickens!!! I am sorry to hear about your hen. Is it possible she ate something in the garden she shouldn't have? I know chickens love tomatoes, but tomatoes are not good for them, and potatoes are also not good for them. I agree with everything redsox said as well. Good luck with your hen and I hope you enjoy BYC!!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. Agreed, the link from redsox will help you out. New layers often lay soft shelled eggs, but the link will give you more info.

Good luck
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Is she eating layer feed with a free choice of crushed oyster shell in another container? They need calcium to produce hard shells. If she is an escape artist, I would put a top of the run so she can't fly out.

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Sorry you are having an issue with your birds. For additional help, please consider posting in the Injuries/Diseases/Emergencies forum. Weakness is not a good sign. I'd recommend segregating her from the flock and keeping her somewhere quiet and warm. Check her over for mites and lice, and any signs of physical injury or abnormality. What did you worm them with? Worms can be a cause of the issues you are seeing, but not all wormers will kill the same kind of worms. Do you know if your birds were vaccinated for Marek's Disease? What are you feeding them (be specific)? Young chickens will often lay "weird" eggs for the first several weeks or months, as their reproductive systems are still getting used to normal function, but in conjunction with weakness, you may be dealing with a reproductive issue such as egg binding or an infection of the oviduct/ovary.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by