I'll hen?

Fawkes123

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2020
Hi everyone, so I got some POL hens about a month ago. One of them has been happy and laid daily for the month (black tail) but for the past few days she has seemed down.(they have all been happy)
She had stopped eating as much and drinking as much but still scratched about although she was still distant from the other pullets.
I checked her crop and it was soft but full 2 days ago, so I massaged it and gave her some water and emptied it.
I was told by the chicken breeder this was the best thing to do.

She has perked up a bit but still don't seem 100% she stands on one leg often and looks a bit puffed up. She eats a little bit and drinks, still scratches about.

She doesn't greet me like usual and doesn't want to be stroked like usual.

And earlier when I was with the girls she made a purring sound but was standing outside her coop on her own.

Any advice?

Has she laid an egg recently?

With her being new to your property, it may be a good idea to have a fecal float to check for Coccidiosis overload or treat for Coccidiosis (Corid can be found at TSC).
Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight, if it's not, then start treating for crop issues as well. It would be worth checking to see if there's any lesions or canker inside the beak too.
If you can get a video of the purring sound, that may be helpful. Could be a crop issue or she may have some respiratory symptoms.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

No she hasn't laid for the last 5 days. I thought I'd bring her in to see how she is and she has been happily wandering around and being a typical hen but she did this poop. Ist doesn't look normal to me?
IMG_20210222_161001.jpg

No, the poop does not look normal to me.
If possible, take a sample for testing of Coccidiosis and worms. If not possible, then I would treat for both. Corid and Fenbendazole (Safeguard) can be found at TSC.
Has she laid an egg recently?

With her being new to your property, it may be a good idea to have a fecal float to check for Coccidiosis overload or treat for Coccidiosis (Corid can be found at TSC).
Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight,
if it's not, then start treating for crop issues as well. It would be worth checking to see if there's any lesions or canker inside the beak too.
If you can get a video of the purring sound, that may be helpful. Could be a crop issue or she may have some respiratory symptoms.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Hey, so I thought I'd update you. I took ginny to the vets and they said if I didn't have any concerns they would say she is absolutely fine. She isn't egg bound and she was wandering around the room like a happy chick!

They only thing they could see that wasn't normal was that her crop is empty, that's why het poop is watery.

They gave me antibiotics to give to her for the next week just in case bu tother than that they told me she is a beautiful chick and very healthy!, 😊

thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom