ill Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DJSunsetFarms, Jan 22, 2013.

1. DJSunsetFarms

DJSunsetFarms Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    One of my hens is sick. Wormed Jan.12th - I noticed Jan.19th (Sat.) she was not up to par and kept closing her eyes.
    stayed up in the roost - not even coming down at feed time. Sun. she did come down for feed slow but sure - so I felt
    maybe she might have been wormy ? Yesterday did not would not come down from the roost eyes closed - would
    not answer me or even open her eyes - and shes fluffed out ! Heavy sigh - as I am Forlornd ! Any Sugestions !?!?!?!?!?

#2 what is a drop board (poop catcher) ? Just a board ?

and BTW she is the only sick one out of 25 Hens . . . . . [​IMG]

2. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    I've had chickens for less than a year and have never had a sick one so I sorry I can't help you much. How is your hen today? Have to tried
    offering her some water while she is on the roost? Water with some electrolytes in it will help if she will drink it. You might want to re post this on the Emergencies/Diseases section. You might get more responses. Good Luck.

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I don't know what is wrong with her but I'd also offer water to her on the roost. I'd spike it with Sav-a-Chick or at least sugar. If she isn't interested, you can dip her beak and she'll drink by reflex. Dehydration is serious and can happen quickly. I was able to help a hen that went into shock by dipping her beak every couple hours until she snapped out of it.

And yes, a poop board is a board to catch droppings under the roost. It can be a simple board to scrape or a tray filled with litter.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How old is she? Could be coccidiosis if she's young.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by