1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ill Rooster, Dark comb/lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by skiidevil, Dec 6, 2015.

1. skiidevil

skiidevil New Egg

Aug 28, 2015
    Wake Forest, NC
    This Maran rooster is 7 months old. He eats crumble, scratch grains, and mash. He is housed with 3 other Marans and 4 Ancona ducks in an outside pen. They have straw to lay and scratch around in their pen, no coop, just a 3 sided pallet shelter. He's been off the roost for a few days, now the darker comb, and is lethargic. It has been a bit rainy. Any thoughts?[​IMG]

2. sarnold1

sarnold1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    Sometimes, if chickens get a little wet (especially bantams) they start acting lethargic and stop doing their normal activities. Make SURE he is dry and make sure he is eating. Try giving him some electrolytes (Gatorade). He could have cocci which can be treated with corid but I can't tell from the description. Have his droppings changed? If so, how?

3. skiidevil

skiidevil New Egg

Aug 28, 2015
    Wake Forest, NC
    [​IMG]I have him in my dog crate in my house right now. His turds are runny brown and white Pretty much all fluids. None of the other welsummers or delawares are the same way. I have some yogurt in with him but he is pretty much just crouched down not caring about anything. I put him on a roost that's about 2 feet up and he jumped off and landed like a stupid pancake.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  4. sarnold1

sarnold1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    It's sounds like he has coccidiosis. You may want to do more research though before you treat him. Corid treats it.

5. skiidevil

skiidevil New Egg

Aug 28, 2015
    Wake Forest, NC
    I gave him force fed Corid and he died...in case anyone reads this. Probably noticed too late that he was not roosting or crowing. No on I've spoken to has been able to save a chicken from this malady.

6. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    If it was coccidiosis, treatment may have started too late.
    Severity/rapidity can vary from bird to bird and depend on the strain of cocci.
    It also could have been something else entirely.

Can you get a necropsy done? That would provide you some answers and perhaps help in the event you have other birds become ill.

7. skiidevil

skiidevil New Egg

Aug 28, 2015
    Wake Forest, NC
    Not sure. I blame myself. I am not rich enough to want to spend $150 on a vet for a $5 rooster. Sounds harsh but it's economics. None of the other birds are ill but ban keeping a watchful eye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by