Illness advice. enteritis?

Canidae

Chirping
Oct 3, 2020
SE Ohio
Hello all. I'm looking for advice/opinions on an illness that's entered my flock, and what I can do going forward. (Sorry for the text length in advance.) Months ago, my flock started showing signs of an illness- one of my birds, Bluebell, presented with some pretty extreme facial swelling and nasal discharge; because i could not afford to visit the vet at the time I decided to treat her with Tylan. Her facial swelling did recede but she still showed signs of being ill. Another bird had facial swelling as well about a week later, though not as extreme and her symptoms responded very well to Tylan. My other birds had sneezing and a drop in egg production.

Bluebell did well for a while, but the nasal discharge and occasional swelling of her sinuses continued. It was yellow in color and I believe I did notice a smell. I noticed her declining about 2 weeks ago- lethargic and had issues breathing with rales. I suspected coryza at this point, & I took her to the only vet nearby that sees chickens, who suggested coccidia (though said she didn't really see anything when she did a fecal) or the possibility of Marek's (I did choose to vaccinate my flock as chicks, but I know it isn't foolproof.) She prescribed smz/tmp for 7 days. This did help Bluebell's breathing considerably, but she became even more lethargic and refused to eat near the end of the treatment. (Also, her poop was a dark green color & urates a pale-ish yellow.) The vet said she may just be depressed because I had been keeping her inside & that her breathing was much better, but the vet couldn't do bloodwork & the nearest place that could was an emergency vet 2 hours away.

I (naively, I think) took her word & reintroduced Bluebell to the flock; a day later it was very clear that she was continuing to decline & I took her to the emergency vet. The exotics team there took x-rays, & bloodwork which showed her GI tract was distended with gas, & a full crop & gizzard. Fecal cytology showed an overgrowth of abnormal bacteria and yeast. She also had a plaque in her choana, which was consistent with infectious debris/pus. They diagnosed her with sinusitis & enteritis & kept her overnight. She initially responded well to therapies and was sent home with Fluconazole 100mg every 12 hours for 10 days.
When I brought her home, I could definitely tell she felt better for a few days- she was back to talking to me & wanting to forage outside, but after a few days of fluconazole, she is quite lethargic again, minimal interest in eating, and now seems to have some difficulty balancing with some continuing open mouthed breathing.

So now, I don't know what to do. The emergency vet was quite expensive, I couldn't really afford it but Bluebell is a dear little pet & I wanted to give her a chance. I'm wondering if the kindest thing I can do now is euthanasia, & I'm worried for the rest of my flock & just curious about what's caused this. Any ideas on what's going on would be extremely appreciated, & I'll try my best to provide more information if needed. Thanks 🖤

Last edited:
It sounds like you do have a chronic respiratory disease such as coryza or MG with a secondary disease. Respiratory diseases can progress to air sacculitis with E.coli infection that can cause death. The SMZ-TMP was a good choice for coryza and enteritis. Bluebell may have something else going on. Mareks could be a possibility, but hard to know for sure. If you should lose her, I would send her body to the state vet for a necropsy to get a diagnosis. There may be more than one problem, and then you would know if there is something that might affect the others. Respiratory diseases are chronic, and most of them make carriers of the whole flock. Hopefully, she is just worn down or immune compromised, and it isn’t that. Is her crop functioning well now? Fluconazole treats fungal infections including sour crop, but does not treat bacteria.

Thanks for your response. No, I don't believe her crop is completely functional at this point. She hasn't eaten today that I'm aware of & I can still feel material in her crop from yesterday. Could the fluconazole be having an effect on her coordination? The dosage seems quite high for her size. She's been on it for 6 days

Thanks for your response. No, I don't believe her crop is completely functional at this point. She hasn't eaten today that I'm aware of & I can still feel material in her crop from yesterday. Could the fluconazole be having an effect on her coordination? The dosage seems quite high for her size. She's been on it for 6 days
How much does she weigh? The dosage I have seen is 5-15 mg per kg twice a day. That dosage does seem very high. Can you check with your vet? Here is post 2 is a dosage chart:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fluconazole-dosing-help.1287737/
You could try worming, but what are you doing for the impacted crop? Is it hard? Have you given coconut oil and massaged the crop? She needs to drink water and have some watery food or egg.

@Eggcessive is right, it sounds like it could be a mycoplasma (MG or MS) that’s causing secondary problems.

The problem with mycoplasma is that antibiotics don’t eradicate it, just beat it back for awhile until some stress brings it back out again, either hot or cold weather, some emotionally stressful event, an injury, anything.
The mycoplama makes them more susceptible to other illnesses, it can also cause airsacculitis, an infection that spreads to the body cavity and can cause salpingitis.

There’s also gi bugs like clostridium species and giardia, sometimes they can cause secondary respiratory issues, and they’re a b**** to get rid of. My gander has recurring gi issues that are pretty similar to what you described in your hen, and it’s been about a year and I still haven’t managed to eradicate the issue, mind you my birds caught mycoplasma from the new neighbor’s chickens last winter, so it’s the disease that just keeps on giving and is probably a contributing factor as to why my gander hasn’t kicked the gi issues.

Symptoms do lessen during the summer when the giardia, clostridium, coccidia microbes have trouble staying alive in the soil, though the mycoplasma is still an issue when it emerges from heat stress.

So far SMZ TMP seems to get rid of the GI issues for awhile, Metronidazole currently doesn’t seem as effective, but different strains might be more or less sensitive, SMZ TMP is effective against giardia AND Coccidia, Metro is effective against Clostridium species “not sure which ones” and giardia, fendbendazole seems to work well in conjunction with antibiotics, I haven’t seen much of an effect with it on its own though.

One big problem is that you have to treat the whole flock or the one that was treated will just get reinfected from the others again, also the environment is the main source of infection. You can spray ammonia everywhere, it will kill giardia and coccidia on surfaces, but not deeper in the soil so it isn’t truly effective unfortunately.

I did have an issue with Candida rearing it’s head after my Gander was on a round of antibiotics, it made him even more gassy than before and his breath smelled like rotting cauliflower, Fluconazole or nystatin will clear it up, I ended up using nystatin and it did the trick.

This is the stuff I used https://birdpalproducts.com/collections/candida-sour-crop-malaria/products/fungistat-powder
Keep in mind that if you administer it as a crop dose it will make them vomit if they currently have a bad Candida infection because it causes them to start shedding off the bio film, found out that the hard way, there’s yellow slime flung all over the place...

For the mycoplasma I’ve been using a Tylan amoxicillin mix from the same company, though like I said it only temporarily treats the mycoplasma issue.

Turmeric, cinnamon, ginger have anti microbial, anti fungal properties, they can help, I make a mix of it with some water and digestive enzymes and syringe 3 ml down my boy’s throat, I’ve found that digestive enzymes are a huge help, it not only assists nutrient absorption but if Candida is present it can help break through and dissolve the biofilm, this is the stuff I have for my gander, it’s cheap but is effective https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F0R7QY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_tab_ap_product_details

Something else to consider is activated charcoal and a milk thistle or SAMe supplement to support the liver. When bacteria and yeast dies it releases a lot of toxins (herxing) and can make them really ill, something that helps the liver through that can help.

Garlic in their water can help, oregano oil is an excellent preventative, thyme, oregano, and some mint can help open up sinuses. Caprylic acid can help make the gut more acidic and resistant to infection.

Thanks for that chart. She's a cream legbar & has lost weight recently-the emergency vets said she weighed in around 3 lbs. I will weigh her again tonight. Before I left for work, the crop felt squishy, but not completely full. I havent tried anything for that but I'll give coconut oil & a massage tonight when I get home. I did syringe her some water before I left. I will again tonight with some vitamins/electrolytes.
How much does she weigh? The dosage I have seen is 5-15 mg per kg twice a day. That dosage does seem very high. Can you check with your vet? Here is post 2 is a dosage chart:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fluconazole-dosing-help.1287737/
You could try worming, but what are you doing for the impacted crop? Is it hard? Have you given coconut oil and massaged the crop? She needs to drink water and have some watery food or egg.

I'm currently giving her coconut oil and a crop massage. Its squishing and a bit grainy. She some water too. She weighed 2.6 lbs. She actually ate a bit when I got home. I can call the vet about the dosage tomorrow morning, but I dont want to give her the fluconazole tonight because I feel like it's way too much?

Thank you all for your advice, unfortunately though I'm making the call to euthanize. :( She's my favorite bird. Can't bare to watch her suffer and it just seems like her body is failing her. I'll be having a necropsy done as well

Back
Top Bottom