1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Illness and Hospitalization From Raising Chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Salt and Light, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    I've had 2 hospitalizations over the past year. Both were some sort of "bug". The first was an e-coili infection, the second is unidentified. I'm curious to know if other chicken raisers experienced frequent bacterial/viral infections resulting in hospitalization. I don't know if my sickness is the result of rearing birds, but I don't know that it's not.

Thanks

2. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    My thoughts would not put the blame on the chickens, but on a compromised or weakened immune system. I find I can withstand much more infections and contamination simple due to the fact that I HAVE chickens, and I am always knee deep or hands into poo and feathers. Hope you find your source of illness.

3. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    Anytime you are dealing with livestock you run a risk of e-coli or salmonella. I think that the best defense is really common sense. Keep them clean, keep their coop/stall etc clean, wash your hands after handling them or cleaning after them. That being said, you also run some risk when you eat raw veggies from the store. Germany has been battling e-coli from infected bean sprouts, the US had problems last year with salmonella from spinach. Again, common sense, wash your stuff before eating it.

The only health issue that I actually have is allergies from the dust when I am brooding in the house. I guess if you already have a compromised immune system, you would certainly be more at risk than someone who does not.

4. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Have you been tested for immunodeficiency problems? There are several conditions that make you more prone to getting sick from things like e-coli. On the chicken side, it always is a possibility. Your risk of catching anything from healthy, clean chickens is a lot lower than battery hens. As suggested above, I would make sure that the coop and run is as clean as possible. If you can, feed the animals probiotics by giving yogurt, ProBios in their water, kefir, lacto-fermented veggies, etc. If their gut bacteria is in check, they are a lot less likely to get you sick from nasty bugs like salmonella.

5. luvinrunnin

luvinrunnin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    E.coli can also come from LOTS of other sources, even from your own body.

6. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Quote:It is quite common in human stool if I remember right. It can also show up in urine when there are infections. Either way, I'd recommend getting probiotics into you and your chickens. Improving the gut bacteria improves your immune system and digestion.

7. srvchickgal

srvchickgal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    Dallas, Pennsylvania
    I know from the dust they produce it reeks havoc on my allerigies but I take special precautions like allergy pill in the morning and netti pot to clean out at night. Our little ones a week old today are already dustbathing (mix of sand and food grade Dit earth, they love it)

Hubby had a scary incident of e coli with chicks years back but are chicks are as clean as we are [​IMG]

we keep corn bedding with food grade dit earth and already cleaning and changing constantly the litter along with antibac hand wash and another wash after that. Cleanliness is key:) best of luck, feel better.

Ranae and Pete hobby farmers Dallas Pa 15 Barred Rock chicks

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I keep my hen house pretty clean. I spot clean with a kitty litter scoop daily, then I do a total cleanout about once every three weeks. The total cleanout is where I come in contact with alot of dust. I sweep all the shavings out and replace them and I also scrape the roosts and any areas where there is dried chicken poop. I noticed that there is alot of dust (stinky dust) when I sand the roosts.....I have often thought of wearing a surgical mask when I do the total clean out.

I do seem to come into contact with chicken poop on a daily basis, and I always wash my hands when I come into the house, after the chores are done......

I've never had a problem, but I would think that maybe some people who might have asma (sp), or maybe COPD, from smoking or whatever, could have a real problem from breathing in that dust.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by