Illness in chickens- respiratory, black combs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SparrowSong, Nov 19, 2013.

1. SparrowSong

SparrowSong Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    I have a small flock of 1 rooster and 4 hens. Two of the hens were added to the flock a few weeks ago. At the time, I didn't know much about quarantining birds so didn't do it. My birds free range during the day and are locked up at night in a coop with an earth floor and a heat lamp for cold nights.

Last week our rooster had a half-closed, watery eye that looked puffy. I assumed one of the new hens didn't like him getting friendly with them. (The two new hens should be laying in about a month.) A few days later, his eye looked fine.
    Today I noticed he is not crowing, is lethargic, his eye is half-closed and watery again, and his comb is turning black. The two older hens' combs are turning black too. The new hens seem fine.

After reading on here most of the day, I decided to give them all Liquamycin 200 for 6 days and also spread DE in their pen for preventative measures. Is this enough? I had my son remove a trough from their coop that still had food in it that had gotten wet and they had pooped in. I think that may have contributed to whatever this is.

Also, are the hens' eggs ok to eat during their antibiotic time?

2. SparrowSong

May 20, 2013
    I forgot to say that my son noticed the rooster sneezing a few days ago.

3. SparrowSong

May 20, 2013
    Anyone?

4. SparrowSong

May 20, 2013
    Photo:

[​IMG]

My son noticed he had green diarrhea yesterday. He is still eating- that's apple on the end of his beak. You can see the crud around his eye and the tip of his comb turning black. I had m son hold back part of his waddle so you can see the purplish tinge next to his finger. I don't know if that's normal or not.

Any suggestions as to what this could be? Thanks!

5. silkiechick1994

silkiechick1994 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Paris TN
    Hi I'm very sorry your flock is sick. It seems a lot of people are dealing with some sort of outbreak. You've done good about dosing them but we need to make sure it's the right stuff to do the job. Do they have any other symptoms? Runny nose, lots of sneezing, wheezing in their chest, bad smell coming from the nose, yellow gunk coming out of them ect?

6. SparrowSong

May 20, 2013
    Thank you. Only symptoms are lethargy, 1 episode of sneezing, green diarrhea, watery and half-closed eye, and comb turning black. No smell, no noticeable gunk (except the one eye draining,) no wheezing or trouble breathing. This morning he seems to have a little more energy. Hopefully the antibiotics are working.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry to hear you have this respiratory disease now. Since you said it doesn't smell bad, you may be dealing with mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG or CRD.) The oxytetracycline would treat that--other drugs such as Gallimycin, Tylan50 or Soluble Powder, and Denagard can be used also. It sounds as though the disease may have been brought into the flock by the new birds who were asymptomatic carriers. All of your birds that recover will be carriers, so If you decide not to cull, then you should not breed for hatching eggs, sell, or give away these chickens. Many people treat their chickens with this disease, and the chickens will do fine unless they are stressed, and become symptomatic again. Knowing exactly which disease you are dealing with is important, and getting a bird tested or necropsied would be the only way to find out. Here is some info: http://umaine.edu/livestock/poultry/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-faq/
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

8. SparrowSong

May 20, 2013
    Thank you for the info. When these birds come to the end of their lives (I can't cull them,) how long must we wait before getting new birds?

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  10. SparrowSong

May 20, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by