illness in chickens

lisaann61

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
I should have known, my hen was fine, but then I noticed last week her comb on her head was crooked and pale and even looked dry on one corner! I thought the fresh spring air would help her. I didn,t do anything for her, maybe should have given her some apple cider vinegar. Any thoughts anyone?? She died in a weeks time, I am devistated, Just loved her.

dawg53

Humble
Premium member
11 Years
Nov 27, 2008
Glen St Mary, Florida
I should have known, my hen was fine, but then I noticed last week her comb on her head was crooked and pale and even looked dry on one corner! I thought the fresh spring air would help her. I didn,t do anything for her, maybe should have given her some apple cider vinegar. Any thoughts anyone?? She died in a weeks time, I am devistated, Just loved her.
Welcome to BYC. ACV is not a cure all. How old was your hen? Did you inspect her closely for external parasites? Had she ever been wormed?

lisaann61

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
Hi Dawg, I looked for parasites last week, I let her outside, and noticed in the sunlight her comb was pale and flopped over compared to a deep red and straight up. I was just happy to let her outside for some fresh air, it's been a long winter. I put my 2 gorgeous hens under a lamp all winter, pamper them royally, fresh warm water in their heater bowel, occassionally a little apple cider vinegar for deworming. She has been acting normal, she was 2 years old. I am so sad. Thanks so much for writing and asking.

lisaann61

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
thanks Seminolewind, you are kind to write, soothes my heartache

lisaann61

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
oh, reread your post, no never dewormed her, thought that vinegar would help keep away the need for deworming, what dewormer do you suggest?

Top Bottom