Illness in the Flock

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickenIsh, Oct 24, 2013.

1. ChickenIsh

ChickenIsh New Egg

Oct 24, 2013
    I have about 35 chickens that are of many different breeds. I noticed a few sneezeing over two weeks ago so I put them on duramycin10 for two weeks and last saturday was the last day of the two week cycle. I've noticed since saturday that, although not as much, a few of my chickens are still sneezing, no discharge from the eyes or nose of any of my chickens, they are all active and seemingly healthy other than the sneezing. I never noticed all of them sneezing, just about 5 or 7 at the most, now it is maybe 2 or 3 of them that are still sneezing and I am wondering what could be the cause. Also, one two year old hen lost nearly half of her feathers in a matter of two or three days after starting the duramycin. And one hen and a pullet died rather suddenly before the duramycin was started and before any sneezing was noticed. I've also notice round worms in their stool and will begin treatment when I can, could this at all be linked to their sneezing? This is the first time I've had any sickness in my flock and the first time I've noticed roundworms as well. I also had a change of feed around the time the sneezing began, it was the same brand but a different type, could they be having an alergic reaction to the feed? I'd like to rehome about seven roosters from this years batch of chicks but I can't do so until I know the cause of the sneezing. Culling my flock is not an option as they are all pets used for the sole purpose of egg production. Any advice or knowledge on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  3. jmandawn

jmandawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Palmer, Alaska
    Welcome and I agree with Liz.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] what do you use for bedding? Some shavings are very dusty and can bring on coughing, cedar shavings are especially irritating to chickens. Please do worm them now, they may have been harboring worms for some time. When they start appearing in their poo, they have quite a number of them.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Sorry to hear about your troubles. Please post in the Emergencies section, if you haven't already. Good luck!

7. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Wayzine is for round worm only and kills all of them at once, there is a chance of intestinal blockage. I use Valbazen, it is a broad spectrum wormer and kills the worms slower so no chance of intestinal blockage. use 1/2 cc in the mouth of each chicken then again in 10 days. 14 day withdraw, no eating of the eggs until after treatment is complete, so 25 days of throwing away eggs.
    Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.[​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Happy you joined us!

9. leighton

leighton Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC :)

10. ChickenIsh

ChickenIsh New Egg

Oct 24, 2013
    [​IMG] what do you use for bedding? Some shavings are very dusty and can bring on coughing, cedar shavings are especially irritating to chickens. Please do worm them now, they may have been harboring worms for some time. When they start appearing in their poo, they have quite a number of them.

I don't use wood shavings in their coop, it was originally a shed for storage so it has a wooden floor and I just clean it out every couple of weeks and put the waste in a compost pile. In their nesting boxes I just put hay that I took from the bales we were feeding our horses but there is very little in there right now and I'll be replacing it soon. I didn't notice any sneezing today and their egg production has doubled in the past couple of days so I am thinking they are getting better, but I don't want to sell my seven or so roosters to anyone if they could be carriers of an upper respiratory disease. I will be deworming them very soon! Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by