1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Illness? Lazy chicken? Or am I just crazy?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sebTucson, Feb 21, 2015.

1. sebTucson

sebTucson Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2015
    I have a 8 month old silkie who has not been acting right for several days. She is the at bottom of the pecking order so shes always been very jumpy and seems a bit slow. Generally, shes always acted oddly standoffish. Two days ago I noticed she was laying down away from the other chickens, but it was late afternoon when a lot of them nap and she jumped up and ran away when I approached her. When I tossed out some grapes for everyone she was very excited about them. Yesterday it was the same story- I checked on her twice and both times she was laying down but got right up when I approached. Today she seemed slightly more lethargic. She had dug out a pretty large hole and was either taking a very strange dust bath or seemed to be having trouble moving. I decided then to quarantine her. She ran away and seemed to be moving fine when went to pick her up. When I caught her she is nice and fat, seems alert, her vent looks fine, no discharge from her nose or mouth, no sneezing, eyes are clear..... her feathers seem pretty ratty but I didnt see any mites (but im not sure what I'm looking for) and she has a lot of pin feathers on her so she might just be moulting. I brought her inside and gave her food and water. She gobbled up some egg yolk with electrolytes sprinked on it, some grapes and is working on some lay pellets. She hasnt pooped inside yet so I dont know what it looks like. She seems alert, isnt drooping her wings or anything like that, but I just have a gut feeling that something is off. This laying around behavior isnt normal for her. Any idea what it might be? Am I just crazy?

I dont know if its relevant, but I have my suspicions that she may actually be a he. Since its a silkie, I cant tell, but once or twice shes made a weird crowing type noise (very quietly) and has postured a few times towards the hens in a way that I associate with rooster behavior. I've never seen her lay an egg be in any of the nest boxes- she prefers to be on the ground of the very lowest perches in the coop.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  2. sebTucson

Jan 30, 2015
    Just bumping this post up with the hope someone has some idea. She's still inside, still eating well, poop is normal. I am doing 3 days of Sulmet just incase something I cant see is wrong, and have treated her with some mite powder as a precautionary measure. She's still laying down a lot, but shows no other sign of anything being wrong.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  3. sebTucson

Jan 30, 2015
    It just occurred to me- could she just be getting ready to lay her first egg and isn't sure what's shes doing?

4. sebTucson

Jan 30, 2015
    Additionally, I just noticed my other silkie doing a similar thing. Everyone else seems fine. So, its either spreading or its just a silkie thing...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by