Illustrations of adult male peafowls.

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by clinton9, Nov 5, 2011.

1. clinton9

clinton9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Frank,
    Seems the Yunnanensis dragonbirds joined the now extinct Javanese rhinoceros. [​IMG]

Javanese rhinoceros became extinct on April 2011, because Asian men kept killing last rhinoceros for ivory.

Asian people had no respect for animals and all animals in Eastern Asia, China, Japan, Malaysia, had no protection.
    These Asian people are very cruel to animals and see animals as foods only and nothing else.

Clinton.

2. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    What is Pavo cristatus singhalensis

3. FrankYLegend

FrankYLegend Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    @Clinton9 - That's not the problem. Most people do value animals and protect them, like China with their pandas. What's being done (poaching etc.) is what some people are doing. The problem with the Yunnan Green Peafowl (of which there are at least 4 different forms) is simply that people are poorly educated. The general public can't tell there are 2 types of Peafowl. A corrupt government doesn't help either. The only people who truly know about Green Peafowl are actual ornitholigists, like the ones working for the Kunming Zoological Institute.

@SuperPeacockman - Singhalensis are the cristatus birds found in Sri Lanka and Southern India (likely introduced here). Resolution noted several differences that constitute towards the recognition of this subspecies. The genetics are actually quite distant, with singhalensis being more in common with Green Peafowl than cristatus in some aspects. The differences in the male are rather subtle, the crests are slightly different and the wings are more finely barred (double laced with herringbone pattern, nominate has thicker barring that's more varigated), and the primaries are the most red of any peafowl.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mar10cc/5879915751/sizes/m/in/photostream/

Beautiful footage of a Sri Lanka Peafowl, the neck is a bit green and the neck shape reminds me of Spaulding:

Here's an interesting singhalensis:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dextercruez/4989012905/sizes/z/in/photostream/

This male was photographed in southern india in Mudumalai:
    [​IMG]
    The wings are a bit ruffled due to being in molt... I think this is a singhalensis too?

The females are darker and have a greener neck than nominate. They sometimes look almost like a Indian-Green hybrid.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  4. clinton9

Jul 2, 2011
    Hi SuperPeacockman,
    Here's wild peacocks, photoed in Sri Lanka.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Clinton.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  5. Resolution

Resolution Chillin' With My Peeps

Clifton, your work is amazing. Please keep at it. I'm eager to see your peahens!

6. clinton9

Jul 2, 2011
    Hi Resolution,
    Illustrations of peahens have to wait until I finished making illustrations of adult peacocks.

I'm still working on illustrations (not finished) pavo javenensis javenensis, pavo spicifer spicifer, pavo muticus muticus, pavo annamensis annamensis.

I looked for photoes of pavo annamensis annamensis, but I did not find and I do not know whether p.annamensis annamensis look same or diffenent from pavo annamensis siamensis and p.annamensis bokorensis.

Also I did not find photoes of pavo spicifer spicifer.
    I need to see the wing coverts, scapulars, backplates, wings of p.annamensis annamensis and p.spicifer spicifer and pavo muticus muticus, in correct colours.

Can you help me please ?

Clinton.

Quote:

7. FrankYLegend

FrankYLegend Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    And so is the bird on the right
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Think they are a few in zoo...here in the States.....at least i saw some a few year ago. Right here in Ohio

9. clinton9

Jul 2, 2011
    Frank,
    There are three races of pavo annamensis

1) annamensis annamensis
    2) annamensis bokorensis
    3) annamensis xishuangbannaensis

I want photoes of both pavo annamensis xishuangbannaensis and pavo annamensis annamensis.

NOT pavo annamensis bokorensis.

Please read carefully my messages.

Clinton.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by