Illustrations of adult male peafowls.

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by clinton9, Nov 5, 2011.

1. FrankYLegend

FrankYLegend Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Here's some photos of Xishuangbannaensis:
    [​IMG]
    - From a Chinese Postcard

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It appears the irises aren't quite as pale as bokorensis and the back is more green than blue compared to nominate.

I will try to look for annamensis annamensis photos but they're few and far.

2. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
  3. FrankYLegend

Oct 25, 2011
    Not sure if those two are the same subspecies. One's probably nominate and the other's Southern yangonensis?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The facial skin is not the same. Wolfgang's spicifers have facial skin like muticus muticus; a lemon yellow but he does have a large male of the Southern subspecies which are supposed to have more intense colouration like that wild bird.

Something tells me that lone, adventurous hen at Bronx Zoo is an Annamensis. I have some footage but it's very blurry. (image stabilization doesn't help at long zoom)

Here's some stills of the plumage details
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But then again, I think it could be bokorensis so not what you want, but it'll be of use for the sketches of the peahens.

nominate Annamensis from Vietnam:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This breeder's birds were wild-caught and he also has nominate imperator. Unfortunately according to Martin this breeder has had little success breeding.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  4. Resolution

Resolution Chillin' With My Peeps

Wolfgang's photographed specimen appears to be largely arakansis. The facial skin is most similar to the Arakan as does the plumage of the head and upper neck- lots of it- only the crest reminds me of annamensis.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  5. FrankYLegend

Oct 25, 2011
    yeah somehow I thought it wasn't the same as the wild spicifers. That lemon-yellow is similar to muticus muticus. I didn't say it was annamensis but yes the crest is kinda funny compared to the wild southern spicifer.

6. Resolution

Resolution Chillin' With My Peeps

I was surprised at the colour of the Arakan malar region. It's as yellow as that what we see in annamensis -maybe slightly warmer- but this individual's crest does remind me of annamensis-- but the thickness of the neck- the bulk of the bird are like Arakan and the antiqus. I just love that bird. I think he's got several founders of his spicifer . This particular specimen's irides are dark while the malar region is like that of bokorensis- or malacense. I suppose it's got the best genes from all of Burma and a bit of the Pahang as well.

7. clinton9

clinton9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Frank,
    Are you sure the green peahen with barrings on rump, terteries, tail, tail coverts is annamensis bokorensis ???
    It don't show even slightliest pink colour that adult male annamensis bokorensis had.

Be careful with naming the peahens of 18 races of dragonbirds, as races of peahens are more difficult for you to ID and name correctly, than peacocks.

Can you please send me the photoes of giant dragonbird (pavo antqus) as I worried I may not able to make an illustration of pavo antiqus if you cannot find photoes of giant dragonbird (pavo antiqus).

Clinton.

8. clinton9

Jul 2, 2011
    Dani,
    I looked at photoes of pavo antiqus, but problem is I cannot enlarge the photoes, so I unable to see the correct colours and pattens on wings and backplate & scarpulars & neck & head.

There are 2 races of pavo antiqus

p.antiqus antiqus
    p. antiqus deqenisis

But I don't know whether p.a.deqenisis look same or diffenent from p.antiqus antiqus.

Clinton.

9. clinton9

Jul 2, 2011
    Hi Resolution,
    I added three new illustrations on page 1st of this topic:

pavo spicifer spicifer
    pavo javanensis javanensis
    pavo muticus muticus

just below pavo imperator tonkinensis

Are the colours and pattens correct ???

Clinton.