1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Illustrations of adult male peafowls.

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by clinton9, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Resolution

Resolution Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:What does this have to do with Illustrations of peafowl.....as you like to say stay on topic.

Weren't you comparing geographic forms of peafowl with strains of domestic mutants a few posts back? Clinton is illustrating different forms of peafowl and there has been some discussion about the difference between respective wild, naturally selected forms of green peafowl. If you care to read the last few posts you may gain an understanding of where these different forms come from, and something about the biogeographic histories of these respective regions.

When we learn about an island , Java for example, we see it on a map or a globe and it doesn't necessarily resonate with the average person. What's so significant about this island? Naturalists, and people with some curiosity about the natural order of the world, we investigate its geography, its flora and fauna.

You may have noticed that we've been discussing what is described in most literature as a single species of peafowl living on the island of Java- and one that is anecdotally identical with birds living in Malaysia ('muticus muticus') over two thousand miles across the ocean. The significance of the differences between Malaysian and Javanese forms has come up and they are important to discuss. But foremost there are some important differences between peafowl on opposite sides of this great island of Java. As this species of peafowl is actually endemic to the island of Java, and there appears to be at least two well-demarcated forms on the island of Java, they should probably be analyzed and compared with one another before skipping to comparisons between Javanese birds and those of Malaysia.

In short, I am consistently underscoring the significance of Theory of Island Biogeography because each region where a genetically distinctive population of peafowl has historically existed, has at some point in evolutionary history been an island of sorts- an ecological island- surrounded by ecosystems that peafowl do not inhabit. These refugia areas were left relatively unscathed by cataclysmic events that transformed the region about 80,000 years ago.

Learning about the size, the width and length of Java is fairly crucial in placing the different races of Javanese peafowl on the map- placing them back into the context of the natural history of the island of Java. Helping the average reader comprehend what the scale of the island is encourages the reader to expand the parameters of their knowledge base. Gaining a comprehension of the biogeography of the island helps us intuit the significance of the divergent races on opposite sides of the island.

From this foundation of relevant and substantiated facts, Clifton has a basis to work from- a literal map to apply what he is learning about.

It's important to learn what, where, when, why and how to come to objective and dynamic conclusions about natural history.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    you do know that man, moved many animals from one area to another.......RIGHT sure those rats didn't fly the 200 miles to the island, or cats.

You Don't think birds didn't get move around by ships also.

size of a island compare to thev USA......still Don't see how that has anything to do with peafowl.

Go ahead tell me how dumb my post make me look.......

3. Resolution

Quote:hmmm....Thanks to a long history of active vulcanism , ( Franky was kind enough to contribute what he learned about this topic in a post above) there is a well defined fossil record in Java. Peafowl have been present in Java since the Pliocene . It is rather doubtful they were carried there as human beings weren't really up to much at that point in history. Due to the advent of molecular biology we have determined ~ when Javanese peafowl ceased having genetic exchange with other peafowl from the mainland of South East Asia.

Size of Java compared with USA might be comparable with what we see in subspecies of Wild Turkeys, which is the point I was gearing toward before you beat me to the punch line.

It took me a long time to learn how to use hyperlink- seriously- a very long while. Don't feel bad about making yourself look stupid on a public forum. I do it all the time.

4. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
  5. Resolution

Quote:WOW! Thanks. Looks like the island of Java is roughly the same size as Japan-not quite as wide but roughly the same length and with some topographic features in common.

Japan is also a volatile region with active earthquake faults and volcanoes.
    Copper Pheasants are endemic to Japan. Let's have a look and see how manysubspecies of the Copper Pheasant have been described in Japan.

6. clinton9

clinton9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Frank,
    To draw the crests of dragonbirds, you need skins of dragonbirds, but you do not have stuffed birds or skins of green peafowls.
    When I studied the crest feathers of a shot IB peacock, there are 15-16 feathers on each site, making total 30-32 crest feathers
    I did not know how many total numbers of crest feathers in green peafowls.
    Crest feathers can be shorter or untidy during moulting season.
    [​IMG]

See the two red line drawing D ??? It are two bases of crest feathers, where they grow from, with 15-16 feathers grow from "D" and other 15-16 feathers growing from "D" Two "D" are in red colour. Bases of crest, are atop the back of skull.

Clinton.

Quote:

7. FrankYLegend

FrankYLegend Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Well, my idea is to give a general sketch to show what the birds look like; like how David Sibley does his work. It's not meant to be exact.

Java is about the size of South Island in New Zealand, slightly smaller though.

8. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

In order to know and understand the origin/biology/variables of a species one must know & understand the environment it comes from. Topography will create isolation with a species and therefore create subspecies over time and multiple generations. Geography is the beginning aspect of the variables found in species in nature. Humans do what nature does over the millenia. Canines are one of the best examples of this species manipulation - man has created in a very short amount of time, a vast amount of variety in the dog, simply because of the dogs adaptability. Man has begun to do the same with some birds- budgies, lovebirds, and other psittacines. We have only begun with peas, but it is important to understand where they come from.

9. Resolution

Quote:Yeah you really need like five different kinds - different genres of natural history illustrations to make a cohesive point.

Different perspectives are critical and the collective effort makes for the consensus necessary to move forward in the contribution

Franky, how many subspecies of Kiwi are there?

10. FrankYLegend

FrankYLegend Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    There are five species of Kiwi:
    Apteryx haastii Great Spotted Kiwi
    Apteryx owenii Little Spotted Kiwi
    Apteryx rowi Okarito Brown Kiwi
    Apteryx australis Southern Brown Kiwi or Tokoeka
    There are at least 3 subspecies of australis. Haast Tokoeka is a disjunct population that is shown on the map below.
    Apteryx mantelli North Island Brown Kiwi

[​IMG]

It was only in 2000 that the taxonomy of Kiwi was revised in the way we are doing with Peafowl. Some of these subspecies names aren't clear and have yet to be formally described.

The climate of New Zealand is variable, from wet to dry and cold to subtropical. North Island is the more volcanic of the two islands, with Mount Ruapehu as the most active volcano. At the center of North Island is Lake Taupo, which fills up a caldera formed by the Oruanui eruption 26 500 years ago. Is interesting to see we only have one monotypic species of Kiwi in North Island. The Little Spotted Kiwi is native to South Island but has been introduced to the small islands, some along North Island, circled on the map.

South Island is more mountainous, split through its length by the Southern Alps. Along the east coast we have more distinct kiwi populations.

Also of interest is the Takahe, which was long thought to be one species. However, the extinct Northern form appears to have evolved to flightlessness independently from the South Island form and are therefore considered different species.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by