Illustrations of both sexes of peafowls

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by clinton9, Nov 19, 2011.

1. clinton9

clinton9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Hi members,
    This is for my illustrations of both sexes of peafowls in flight.
    Pavo cristatus cristatus
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pavo cristatus nigripennis (black-shouldered peafowl)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pavo annamensis bokorensis
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pavo javanensis javanensis
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will keep making more illustrations of both peacocks & peahens, until we have 18 races of dragonbirds.

Clinton.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I was wondering if you were going to illustrate peahens also. Great job it looks good![​IMG]

3. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
  4. FrankYLegend

FrankYLegend Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    yes Dani is right, and at the shoulder there should be no green (the male has a triangle at the shoulder, females don't)

Also this is annamensis bokorensis we're dealing with, the crest on the female is often quite spread out.

5. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    The blue peahen must be more grey than bronze.
    It will be interesting to make the blue split white..... not too hard !
    [​IMG]

6. clinton9

Jul 2, 2011
    Frank,
    I sent Resolution my illustration of Cardamon peahen (pavo annamensis bokorensis) & asked him about colours & pattens, he said bird had correct colours & pattens.

You proberly mistook these either other races of green peahens for Cardamon peahen, and I myseft don't know which are which the races of green peahens.

Resolution know best how to sort the green peahens. I'm no good at sorting green peahens.

Next illustrations coming in 2-7 next days: Javanensis green hen and pavo annamensis annamensis peacock, followed by pavo muticus muticus peahen (I did not find the photoes of pavo muticus muticus peahens)

Clinton.

7. Resolution

Resolution Chillin' With My Peeps

I noted that the alula needs work- compare the structure and size of the alula of Green Peafowl to that of the Indian's.

Here are a few photos of P. a. bokorensis.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll try and locate some more photos of bokorensis but generally speaking, the Cardamom peafowl female is very similar to that of the nominate annamensis annamensis and that of the annamensis xishuangbannaensis.
    The principle difference being the smoke grey colouration within the dorsal plumage, tertials and retrices. The barring of the tertials, upper tail coverts and retrices is bold but not as wide as that of Javanese forms. Overall i think perhaps the Cardamom peafowl female is a darker grey cast than other forms-similar to the Malaysian female.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  8. FrankYLegend

Oct 25, 2011
    My attempt at drawing peahens:

[​IMG]

For annamensis it's using pictures of bokorensis while for antiqus i only had 1 picture to base it off of. Nominate imperator is based off the the female at Ueno Zoo which may not be accurate (these are somewhat chubby birds which bear superficial resemblance to malacense but have a crest almost fanned out). Muticus muticus was hardest to do I messed up real bad. The spicifer is arakansis, while Javanese is nominate.

I'm trying to colour these sketches using photoshop which seems to be a bit of a challenge.

Also note the conservation statuses. Not exactly accurate though.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  9. clinton9

Jul 2, 2011
    Hi Frank,
    Your drawings of peafowl heads is good, but you need lot of practice in drawing skills.

I suggest you start with peacock heads before you go to peahen heads.

Pay attanions to how far / long between beak tips and crests, eyes, ears.

Beware when birds are in moulting, the crests can be untidy or short or have both short and long feathers, this confuse you about shape of crests.

Choose the peafowls that are not in moult, for drawing.

Clinton.

10. FrankYLegend

Oct 25, 2011
    these ones aren't in moult. well the birds in the pictures I based them on don't appear to be in moult. Annamensis just has a crest like that as Resolution's photo shows. I was paying more attention to the crest than anything else

Well I've drawn Peacocks more this is the first time I've actually drawn peahens :S

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by