Ilness or injury? Help please D:

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cylinder, May 4, 2017.

1. Cylinder

Cylinder New Egg

May 4, 2017
    I went to check on my bantams and I saw that my hen is swollen around the eye and had white blisters on her comb. Her swollen eye is black and seems to have been pecked at so I separated her from he coop. What should I do to help her? Here is some pictures. [​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  2. Cylinder

Cylinder New Egg

May 4, 2017
    Her other side
    [​IMG]

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC
    Can you take her to a vet?

It looks like she has Fowl Pox, possibly wet form. Check inside her beak for any yellow lesions as well. The eye looks like it could become infected, flush with saline and apply some Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment to the eyes. Be careful not to disturb the scabs if at all possible (hard to do) this will hopefully minimize the spread.

Watch to see that she is drinking well, add some poultry vitamins to her water and offer some extra protein. Keep her water container clean. You may also want to clean and sanitize the water station(s) that you use for your flock as well.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatment.html

4. Cylinder

Cylinder New Egg

May 4, 2017
    Thank you! Luckily she seems to be drinking and eating well and is overall acting normal.

Hopefully she will get better soon. i've only had poultry for about 3 years and have never seen one of my hens in this condition. So as you can guess I was pretty much freaking out. I'll follow your advice and make sure to thoroughly clean my water feeders and give my hen proper treatment and vitamins. Thank you again :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by