ILT - persistent gasping cough with squawk sound and tongue out...then acts fine for a time too.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mother Bird, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Mother Bird

Mother Bird Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    Blue Ball, Pennsylvania
    My Hamburg has been showing these symptoms periodically for a couple months, but it's now just showing up in my pullets too. I treated the Hamburg twice with a round of Tylan 50 injected, but I feel that's not helping, at least not long term. My coop hasn't been cleaned in about a month, but I did use lyme and a lot of straw. They have all been in more with the cold weather/snow, so it's gotten dirty faster. I do keep it heated. Last wormed about a month ago. Any ideas on what this is and how to treat. I have Corid and Tylan 50 injectable on hand...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What type of lime did you use in the coop. Some types can be caustic and cause breathing problems. Some respiratory diseases can be viral or fungal where antibiotics may not affect them, and bacterial in other cases where antibiotics may help.Make sure your coop ventilation high up overhead is good to get fresh air and let out excess moisture. Here is a good link on MG, infectious brochitis, coryza, ILT, and aspergillosis to read and compare your symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. Mother Bird

Feb 18, 2012
    Blue Ball, Pennsylvania
    I checked the lime which says it's organic, non-toxic, for lawns/gardens/barns...so I think that's safe to rule out. I also went out and increased the ventilation at the peak, hoping that will help. I'll check out the link you provided to see if I can make any more sense of these symptoms. Thanks for your in-put!

4. Mother Bird

Feb 18, 2012
    Blue Ball, Pennsylvania
    Also, I'm not seeing any nasal/sinus discharge...which is mentioned for most illnesses...?

5. Mother Bird

Feb 18, 2012
    Blue Ball, Pennsylvania
    I'd have to say ILT sounds the closest for the Hamburg....pullets just started to sneeze today, so can't say yet for them. I really haven't seen the watery eyes or discharged noted though...
    Antibiotics are suggested via dropper, but it doesn't say which one(s). I've seen where tylan 50 injectable can be given orally. Is this an option? If so, how much?

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There are so many different diseases which can be viruses or fungus that won't respond to antibiotics, or bactgerial ones that will. Respiratory diseases many htimes are chronic, meaning they are not curable, but may come back whenever the chicken is stressed. ILT may cause extreme gasping, wheezing, bloody mucus from the beak, and "pump handle respirations." Tylan 50 is a good antibiotic forf bacterial diseases or for preventing secondary infections, and it can be given orally or as an injection.

7. Mother Bird

Feb 18, 2012
    Blue Ball, Pennsylvania
    Ok, so I feel confident now that I have ILT in the flock. Two more now have the same symptoms to a lesser degree, and I did see some watery eyes with them...but nothing major and nothing bloody. I know I'll have to separate them from the flock. I don't have a separate area, so will work on building a temporary area tomorrow.

The one that has shown symptoms for about 3- 4 weeks is a Hamburg about 4 yrs old, the others are Swedish Flower pullets that hatched mid october. I treated the Hamburg with Tylan 50, twice, thinking it was a respiratory infection. I also cleaned the coop, increased ventilation, bumped up the heat a little and put fresh lime down.

Now...what do I expect...and what should I do next. Will I loose them? Can I vaccinate the others (19) against this and if so, is it avail. to me or do I need to go through a vet and what is the vaccine called? Is there anything I can give them to help? I have injectible penicillin and Tylan 50 as well as liquid Corid on hand...

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It doesnt sound like ILT to me. I recommend that you get your sickest bird tested; bloodwork or necropsy to find out exactly what's going through your flock. It could be a fungal issue in which antibiotics are ineffective. You can contact your local extension office to find out how to get a bird tested.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree with Dawg53 that it doesn't sound like ILT. With ILT, you would see severe gasping,gaping, coughing, and bloody mucus from the beak. Sneezing could be from infectious bronchitis. Testing would be the only way to know for sure what you are seeing. I would not recommend vaccination of any chickens without identifying what illness. IB is very infectious, spreading throughout a flock very quickly, and the chickens remain carriers for up to a year after recovery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by