ILT

mhw

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 21, 2008
I just got a flock (15 birds total)of ameraucanas from a very reputable breeder. i noticed right away that a few were sick and now the whole flock is, one died the second day we had tem and it looks like a few more might not make it. The breeder called and told me that her birds were diagnose with ILT, a type of infectious herpes virus. She also said I would have to vaccinate my whole flock, which is really too bad because I was hoping to raise organic chickens. My question is this: is it ok to send the birds back and ask for a full refund, plus get her to pay for the return shipping? i have other chickens and I dont want to have to worry about them getting this highly contagious virus. From what I have read once a bird s infected it will always be a carrier. I also dont think i would ever feel comfortable eating their eggs knowing they have this virus. Any helpful advice I would love
Thank you

I would cull the whole flock and have her give you a full refund. Then do whatever you have to do in order to properly sanitize your property.

Thanks that is what i thought we should do. how do I go about culling ifectious birds? I am very new in raising chickens and was planning on raising these for eggs not meat so I dont have any equipment for that for culling. would love advice for that. or is there someone I could hire for that?

I think your method would depend on their age. There are several posts about humane methods of culling chickens, so if you do a search you'll probably find some good info. Maybe someone else will be able to offer some suggestions. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom