I'm 95% sure this is a bad egg...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by macmama, Jun 13, 2010.

1. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    But I've never tossed one and I'd feel horrible if I was wrong. Mama tossed it out twice, and it looks a lot different than the others (day 10) I can see some veining but only within the black circle-- no movement whatsoever (I can see the other chicks kicking around in there) and the big dark area floats to the top whenever I move the egg. It's bad, right?

[​IMG]

2. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    if you see veining then it was alive at one point it looks to be dead now.

3. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    If Mama tossed it, you can bet money on it that, it isn't any good!! I fell for it a couple times and went so far as to mark the egg. Sure enough, she always kicked out the same egg. No good!! You're safe to toss it.

4. macmama

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:I know it was alive at some point because it had good veining at day 5. 3 days later mama kicked it out, I marked it and put it back. Today it wasn't kicked out-- but she had moved it out of the way and wasn't sitting on it so I candled it. If a few more people tell me it's definitely bad then I'll toss it. I'd just hate to toss a live baby-- but I'd also hate to have an eggsplosion.

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    If she kicked it out and it looks substantially different than the rest, it's bad.

6. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    That's a dead egg, sorry.

7. macmama

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Okay, we put it in a bag and cracked it. There was a little embryo in there-- just a little pink blob with an eye, but it was dead. *whew!* Thanks for the encouragement... we had a 100% hatch last time so I figured we couldn't be as lucky this time! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  8. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    Well I just locked down 11, or 12, if my suspicions are right I may have a twin egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by