1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm a bad, bad girl...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Blisschick, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I told myself this year that I would not use my incubator after my last hatch in September because when I hatched out chicks as late as November last year, I had issues with them getting sick from the cold. I assured myself that any chicks I got in September would be big enough to withstand the nasty weather we get in the months of Dec. - Feb. outside. So far, this has proven true. None of them outside right now are so young as to have issues with the weather. [​IMG]

In the past two weeks, I've started feeling the itch to fire up the 'bator again. This is not a good sign. I had already gone through withdrawals, and thought I was cured. I passed by it and thought about putting it out of sight so maybe I would forget about it.

This was not to be. I blame it all on Jen and her beautiful Silkies. Beware, she's an enabler. [​IMG]

So now, unbeknown to my husband, there are Silkie eggs about to be put in the mail with my name on them. When they arrive, he will roll his eyes, sigh a heavy sigh, and ask God what he did to deserve a chicken crazy wife who can't leave well enough alone. Then he will tell me to sell some chickens so I can buy feed. He will tell me that I am obsessed and that I need to exercise control over my compulsions. I shall look at him with pity for his lack of understanding and laugh -- ha ha -- derisively. He has no understanding of the mind of a hatchaholic. He does not understand the need to check the humidity every few hours, or what it means to listen subconsciously for the click of the egg turner, or the nearly silent whisper of the circulation fan. He has no comprehension of how critical it is to watch the thermometer. He lives a chickless existence in a shelless universe. He so does not get he's missing out.

Whatever.

I shall have chicks!! [​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

He lives a chickless existence in a shelless universe.

OMG, THATS IT!! Toooo funny!! I have a dozen in my bator now....Langshans...and they are due around the 8th! I am hopeing for a white roo...to name after my late brother. Jeffery. ( Jeff) His B Day is/was December 8th. Good luck on the hatch!!

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    OH I sooooooooo know how you are feeling, hugs ...Husbands just don't understand the addiction :aww.. I have tried myself to not hatch... but alass I might have chicks hanging from my Christmas tree in wittle boxes with ribbons....

4. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    [​IMG] : We have it bad but my reasoning is that if I hatch now they will be laying by Spring.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, if you're bad, I'm worse!! [​IMG]

6. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I'm going to have to tail my DH in the morning to make sure he really is going to work. I think he is living the double life and is YOUR DH too.

Sounds just like what my hubby says about my chickens...too funny!!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    OMG Blisschick, I think you have used your evil chickenmama powers to draw me unsuspecting to this thread!
    It was like less than a month ago? that I came to this site looking for some info. on raising chickens, so I could have a few...you know, maybe 3? come spring.
    See, I'm sitting here all bored in front of the SO's laptop. There hasn't been any new posts for me to check in like...8 seconds...and I don't wanna go into BYC chat cuz the laptop has tiny little keys I can't stand. So I decide to check out some of the advertisers for BYC. Hmmmm, this site has incubators, how neat. Wouldn't it be nice to have just a few eggs and be able to watch life begin...awwww how cute would that be?!?!? [​IMG] I've caught it from y'all and it's terminal I fear.
    Goes back to my corner to study on disguising ducks as chickens again. [​IMG]
    BC, behave yourself and remember, only use your powers for good deeds!

8. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    You could do what my sister is doing. She's lending me her bator so I can hatch my first set!![​IMG]

My DH is not trilled, said I have alot of chickens but just sighed and said that's nice. I DID NOT tell him I ordered eggs from Jody.....

I set tomorrow:woot

10. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I told myself this year that I would not use my incubator after my last hatch in September because when I hatched out chicks as late as November last year, I had issues with them getting sick from the cold. I assured myself that any chicks I got in September would be big enough to withstand the nasty weather we get in the months of Dec. - Feb. outside. So far, this has proven true. None of them outside right now are so young as to have issues with the weather.

In the past two weeks, I've started feeling the itch to fire up the 'bator again. This is not a good sign. I had already gone through withdrawals, and thought I was cured. I passed by it and thought about putting it out of sight so maybe I would forget about it.

This was not to be. I blame it all on Jen and her beautiful Silkies. Beware, she's an enabler.

So now, unbeknown to my husband, there are Silkie eggs about to be put in the mail with my name on them. When they arrive, he will roll his eyes, sigh a heavy sigh, and ask God what he did to deserve a chicken crazy wife who can't leave well enough alone. Then he will tell me to sell some chickens so I can buy feed. He will tell me that I am obsessed and that I need to exercise control over my compulsions. I shall look at him with pity for his lack of understanding and laugh -- ha ha -- derisively. He has no understanding of the mind of a hatchaholic. He does not understand the need to check the humidity every few hours, or what it means to listen subconsciously for the click of the egg turner, or the nearly silent whisper of the circulation fan. He has no comprehension of how critical it is to watch the thermometer. He lives a chickless existence in a shelless universe. He so does not get he's missing out.

Whatever.

I shall have chicks!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by