I'm a bad puppy mama! Re: toys

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Nov 29, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Our 8 month old GSD has no toys left to play with, save a few thick bones. We can't find anything for him to play with that isn't destroyed in seconds.
    We bought him a black kong, since he loved the red ones so much (before he eats them), but he ignores the black one unless we insert some peanut butter in it. Obviously we can't do that all day.
    He has the hardest bone nylabone makes, but only plays with it when he's really bored. I can't blame him on that one. The thing doesn't even look interesting.
    He had some kong tennis balls, but he ate them.
    Stuffed animals have a lifespan that can be counted in minutes. He has a really large one, the size of a real cocker spaniel, that I let him play with whenever I have the time to pick up all the fluff he tears out of it.
    He has about eight beef bones, with the meat all chewed off, that are his main play toys. I feel bad when he brings them to me, wanting me to play fetch with them. Not a good idea in the house.
    The other day I bought him two children's kick balls. One was popped in 30 seconds. The other lasted long enough for him to push it with his nose from the kitchen to the living room before he popped it.
    He's getting a basketball for Christmas, but I sure wish I could find some other toys for him.
    I've been searching Jeffers Pet website looking for ideas. Everything I see there is something we've already tried, only to watch it be destroyed. [​IMG]

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    what about a bowling ball?

I am not kidding a friend of mine had a great dane and a bull mastiff and he has a bowling ball for them... they cant get their teeth into it to pick it up so they play soccer with it and push it around with their noses its quite funny to watch...

he no longer has a glass table
    and he has corner protectors on most of his wooden furniture

he tries to limit this to an out door toy only

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Check this site: http://www.planetdog.com/home/ It might be just what you are looking for. At least they guarantee their toys, so if he does destroy them, you'll get your money back [​IMG]

ETA: They give their toys 'chomper' ratings, of 1-5, with 1 being easily chewed and 5 being hard to chew. I'd go with 5's [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:My DH suggested that the other day. I just [​IMG]
    Problem is, I need mainly indoor toys. Outside he just plays with logs and can't understand when mama won't let him bring them in the house.

5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
  6. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Have you tried horse toys? We bought our boys two rubber balls that have handles. They toss them in the air, and kick them around. The good news is, they're almost pop proof. Our boys chew them all the time, too. Maybe they would survive your dog? [​IMG] They sell them at tractor supply.
    [​IMG]
    Jolly ball in TSC

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yeah, I think we are going to try the jolly balls next. Jeffers has them in dog sizes and animal-shaped dog sizes. Maybe they'll last a day or two.

8. ChickenFanaticAB

ChickenFanaticAB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    GA
    My dog is the same way...nothing lasts, and the things that do, he could care less about. He has learned to live with unstuffed-animals and every type of popped ball...he LOVES squeakers that he rips out of toys though, just plays with those, and fortunately hasn't eaten any! The basketball will be good, but my dogs teeth went through those as well...but they can still be fun even when flat.

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:My Lab ate the handle off in 6 minutes, and destroyed the rest in another 10. Ditto on the 5 basketballs/soccer balls. He too demolished the black Kong. Now I give him 18" lengths of firewood- voila, instant kindling! [​IMG]

10. Ceila and Pearl are the same way with toys and bones. They dont last a day, let alone 5 minutes! I tried every type of bone u can imagion. ONly thing that lasts is a piece of log or a cattle bone. Go to a local cattle farm and ask if they have a BIG beef bone that they can give you for your pup. Mine just find their bones in the neighbor's field or my neighbor just gives it to them when he is out tending to his cattles. Ceila has a bone that she doesn't let Pearl even TOUCH and she has had it for MONTHS now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by