1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Im a believer

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by halo, Jan 25, 2012.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    For the past couple of weeks Ive been putting my Cornish X in the freezer. I just skinned them, parted them out, and put either white meat in a bag, or quarters in a bag. I had one bird left over that I did on Sunday, so rather than freeze it, I baked it. Full breast, 2 quarters, seasoned with poultry seasoning, and baked at 325 for 2 hours. Oh my goodness. They turned out so tender, and the broth was wonderful. I didnt even think there would be that much, since I skinned them, but there was. Such a good flavor to the meat, now I realize how tasteless the store bought chicken was.

I took all the meat off, and put it in a bowl, for chicken quesadillas.

It was so worth getting these birds and raising them. I really can't believe the difference. I will definitely do it again in the fall.

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    We did our first 50 Freedom Rangers and left the skin on, but we feel the same way as you do!

3. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

I did a 9 1/2 pound rooster recently the traditional way - plucked and roasted whole. Great flavor, but not very tender. It was under cooked though. I have been reading about resting in the refridge for a few days because of rigormortis. Did/do you rest after processing and if so, how long? .....stan

4. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    Oh, yes - PLEASE let them rest in the fridge for at least 24 hours! I lightly cover the carcass(es) with wax paper, and leave it alone for two to three days, then rinse well and cook or freeze.

Just my opinion, but I prefer to cook big ol' roos like that with moist heat (soups, stews, and chili). The crock pot is your friend! [​IMG]

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I let mine sit in the fridge for 48 before putting in the freezer.

6. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    [​IMG] Can't wait for slaughter day.

7. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    We ended up resting ours for 6 days before freezing, longer than intended but the oversized roosters turned out perfectly! We experimented the night of processing and roasted up a fresh bird that hadn't been rested, very tough. Rested = tender!

8. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I've been resting mine for 3 days before they go in the freezer, then another day when I take them out to cook. So much better than store bought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by