I'm a bit confused on layer feed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenpoop77, Feb 17, 2016.

1. chickenpoop77

chickenpoop77 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2015
    I thought I wasn't supposed to start feeding them later feed until they started laying. But now I've heard 18 weeks and then the lady at the feed store said not before 6 months! So which is it? My girls are 17 weeks. TIA.

2. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Layer feed is all about raising your hens calcium levels in order to help them lay eggs. I personally start them on layer feed at 18 weeks because that works best for me.

3. chickenpoop77

Nov 18, 2015
    Oh believe me I'm ready for them to lay!! I was just confused on the timing of when to start giving it to them.

4. XxMingirlxX

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    18 weeks is perfectly fine. :)

5. chickenpoop77

Nov 18, 2015
    And I just bought another bag of grower feed. Sigh. Will the layer feed speed up or encourage laying then?

6. Doc McCluckins

Doc McCluckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    Yes, the added calcium in the layer feed will help them get ready to lay. I always switch feeds slowly so it is easier on them so if I were you I would feed the grower another month (until 18 weeks) and then mix a little of the layer in with it until you are out of grower and are feeding 100% layer. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long. I wouldn't wait until they lay to start them on layer feed though. I could be wrong but unless they are free range I don't think they would ever lay in a coop and run on just grower feed. The calcium wouldn't get anywhere close to meeting their demands.

7. XxMingirlxX

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    If you just bought another bag, feel free to use it up first with a separate containter of free choice oyster shell for added calcium. :)

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Actually, there is no magic ingredient in layer feed that will speed up or make them lay. You don't actually have to feed layer at all. In fact, it's too low in protein for flocks that get to free range frequently or get treats daily.

9. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio

That's what I did, the hens all did fine.

10. chickenpoop77

Nov 18, 2015
    Thanks everybody!! They et out almost everyday for several hours so they're not exactly free range. I think I will get some oyster shell and just continue with what I have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by