I'm a chick killer!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aladatrot, Sep 2, 2008.

1. aladatrot

aladatrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    LaPorte
    I don't know what happened, but all my chicks from my last order (came in Thursday I think) are dying. The guinneas are all dead, and now the Araucaunas and Leghorns are dropping off. They all look like happy little chicks, eating, drinking, and making merry. Then, one starts looking downturned, and within a few hours he is dead. I had two dead this morning, including the "tough girl" of all of them! Ideas?

M

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm sorry this is happening to you. :aww
    Can you give us a good idea of your chicken keepiing situation....your heat source, what you are feeding and when, anything that you might think is pertinent?
    Maybe we'll be able to brainstorm together and figure out what's causing this tragedy.
    I wish you the best.

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Plus

do any of them have pasty butt? - Poop clogging up and they can't defecate. It will always kill a young chick.

4. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Ohh, I'm sorry!

Some info would be nice so we can save your little guys![​IMG]:aww:fl

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    They have one of a thousand different diseases. As long as you provide them warmth,
    food, and water you are doing your part. This is something that just happens. It sucks
    and we all feel for you but it will pass and your next batch will be ok.

6. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] I am so sorry this is happening to you and your chicks. hoping you can find out what ails them and get them well again.

7. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    We really do need more info. How hot is it where you live, where your birds are kept, what kind of heat you're providing, food, whether your water has vitamins, etc.

Pasty butt, can be a BIG problem in new birds, I lost a bunch to that even with washing the paste off and trying to syringe feed the birds. Some would rally, others rally and go downhill, others were hopeless no matter what I did.

I really had to use a thermometer in the pen on the floor to absolutely know for sure mine were over heating. at one point the brooder hit 102f. That's a bit too hot. 95 the first week is what you're shooting for.

Please let us know more.

8. aladatrot

aladatrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    LaPorte
    Sorry for a late reply, I was away from the internet all of yesterday. Here's the scoop.....

My chickies are in a smaller cage within my coop. I just moved them there from inside my barn where I had already lost 3 chicks. In the new cage, I've only lost two chicks.

Light: I had a floodlight with an 18 watt flourescent close enough to the chicks that they could get as close or as far away as they wanted. I thought this wasn't enough heat, so today I changed it to a 40 watt incandescent again, positioned so that they can get far away or close up. I even have a rock in there so they can get even closer if they want to.

Food: I'm feeding the crumble layer feed which is 20% protein. Should I move to a chickie feed?

Water: away from the light but not too far away is their waterer. Water is clean, and I see them visit it often.

Flooring: I have earth floor, but I have hay and shavings in two separate areas so that they can sit or stand on either woodshavings, clean hay, or growing grass - whatever they like.

I didn't lose one yesterday, and am thankful for each day I don't.
    M

9. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I think the bulb change was a good idea.

You definitely need to switch them to chick starter (either medicated or non-medicated), the calcium in the layer crumbles is too much for them.
    Hope everything gets better! :aww
    ~Rebecca

10. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    I agree with needmorechickens. I had a 100 watt red light for the chickies when they were little. I did have an adjustable thermostat so they would be at the certain temperature they needed to be. I believe it's 95 deg 1st week, then 5 degrees lower each week after that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by