I'm a (chicken) Grandma! :D - UPDATE - 6 babies!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MetalSmitten, Nov 8, 2010.

1. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    One of my hens that we'd gotten as a chick this spring went broody in October, which was kinda bad timing on her part but we figured we'd let her set on the eggs and see what happens... And as of yesterday, at least three have hatched! [​IMG] We've got a special area set up for her with a heat lamp and everything, so we're hoping the chicks will be okay even though it's so near winter. It's so exciting! [​IMG] They're totally mutts, we're not sure who the real parents are for any of them, but so far there are two light yellow chicks with black dots on their heads and one black chick with a red head and white belly. I'm really really curious to see what their adult coloring will be hehe. Just had to share [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    How fun! Congrats [​IMG]

3. Wegs813

Wegs813 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Yay! Congratulations! We love pics if you have any!!

4. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Yes! pictures! also what types of chikens do you have and maybe we can figure out the mix!

5. MetalSmitten

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    I wanna take photos definitely, but right now Momma hen is hiding them for the most part [​IMG] I'll get some photos when she lets me hehe.

As far as my adult flock goes, my hens include some Buff Orpingtons (Momma is a BO), some red sex links, and some mystery blacks. I got 6 black chicks last spring, which were supposed to be BAs but clearly aren't, and they're NOT sex links 'cos nobody had dots on their heads as chicks or any barring at all and 3 turned out to be hens and 3 roos. The black hens turned out black with some white penciling on their chests, and the roos turned out to look kinda like the standard Leghorn in this photo: https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/leghorn/41094 but without the white earlobe or the gold on the back, and they're larger bodied than the photo. So I really don't know what mix they are [​IMG]

6. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    Congrats - send us pics

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    All right! We gotta have photos! Awesome!

8. MetalSmitten

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    FOUR NOW!! [​IMG] The newbie is black with white wing tips and a gray belly! [​IMG]

9. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    cuteness!!!

10. MetalSmitten

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    Another two hatched out the other day, making the total 6! [​IMG] The two new ones are kind of yellow, and one has faint chipmunk type markings on its back. There's also one more egg that is cheeping and has half-pipped, but momma hen abandoned the eggs by now (some of the other hens were laying in her nest, so some eggs got put in later than the first ones... I forgot to mark the originals so I just let her sit on them all). We've put it under a heat lamp and we'll see if it's strong enough to make it.

I'll be trying to get photos ASAP, but right now it's threatening to rain =/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by