1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm a chicken killer...so sad...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chilisweet, Jul 24, 2008.

1. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Well today we went to get two more chickens, a barred rock and an aracauna. Brought them home, started to get them settled, but the poor girls were sitting in the sun, not the shade and were getting hot. So hubby goes to move them into the shade and they both freaked out. the aracauna flew over the fence into the neighbors yard. Luckily for us, his dogs were not out, so we hopped the fence and spent the last hour trying to catch her to bring her home.

Needless to say, that didn't happen. She ended up flying over the back fence into the cow field that runs behind our homes. I did see her, but she is about 5 houses down, and I have no idea how to get her home. I feel like crud, because I am the one who chased her and made her fly.

I haven't killed her yet, but we have oppossums and raccoons and coyotes in the area, and I'm sure she will not live long. She doesn't even have water, and it's hot here today.

This is not how I wanted to have chickens. I just feel awful that she prolly will get eaten, and I didn't even get to take her pictures yet. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

~Caran

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Can you might get a group of people together and gently herd her back home?

Another option would be to place her cagemate in a dog kennel or something to coerce her to roost near her.

Don't be too hard on yourself. The chicken didn't know that you were trying to keep her in the yard. We all do the best we can by these little critters.

[​IMG]

3. chilisweet

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I was thinking about having her friend in the cage too, so she could hear her voice and hopefully come back...She's in the shade now, under some blackberry vines, so maybe when it starts to cool down and be a bit later, she will wander back. [​IMG]

4. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Hope you get her back!

5. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Something very similar happened to me when I brought my Benjamin home..

I was setting him up in a temporary run out back, when he decided to fly right into my face and startle me.. slipping right past me, through the door/gate. He went right up on an out-building in my landlord's yard ..and then flew away to no man's land! We live in the city ..dogs, feral creatures, mean people.. I thought for sure, my BenBen was gone!

I called my neighbor behind me and let him know that Ben was wandering around, and I walked around the neighborhood, looking for him for awhile.

Later in the evening, neighbor's cat was after Ben ..who was sitting on an old truck... and we retrieved him. I got him back home, put him in the run and came inside. Not 15 minutes passed and I saw Ben wandering around the backyard ...NOT in the run any longer [​IMG]

He spent the night out for 2 nights, actually. I left food out and I called for him every day, but he was new to me ..so he wasn't likely to come to me.

Finally one evening, about dusk ...I spotted him over the fence behind us and went out there. I tossed scratch to him and talked to him, constantly walking as slowly as possible toward him ...and then popped over the fence and grabbed his legs!

Now, the darn boy won't go further than 5 feet away from me! He's a Momma's Boy!! [​IMG]

I hope you catch your hen! Be patient ..and diligent.. you should be able to cajol her into coming home [​IMG]

6. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Chickens are social animals, they don't like to be alone, away from other chickens. If, possible, get some other chickens together where she can see them. Maybe she will come to them. Good luck.

7. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I am so sorry. If you can keep an eye on her when it begins to get dark, and if she stays on the ground, you may be able to catch her easily when she starts to doze off. She will want to roost most likely. Keeping the one in a crate with treats nearby is a good idea too. I hope she comes back.

Don't be hard on yourself. I know that is easy to say and difficult to do.

Let us know what happens.
    Anne

8. chilisweet

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    well I saw her again, but she wont come near me..I'm afterall the mean person who was chasing her! But we got a big net from my brother in law. Its for salmon fishing. I'm hoping we can wait until dusk when she gets sleepy and snag her then. I do hope we can find her underneath all of the brush and vines.

Thanks for the responses...I'm feeling a bit better now that I have some ideas as how to catch her.

~Caran

9. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Is there a way you can stalk her til she goes to roost then snag her booty up? I'm pretty sure they are useless at night because they are blind as bats. Just what I would do in this situation. Good luck!

10. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Quote:Doh! My response was a bit late. You are doing what i would so.......Good luck again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by