I'm a chicken neighbor, needing advice...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Alameda Stephanie, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Alameda Stephanie

Alameda Stephanie New Egg

Sep 20, 2011
    I live in ALameda, CA where our law's says we can't have over 6 chickens, and they need to be 20 feet from humans. So my neighbor has built a coop right next to my bedroom and tiny backyard.
    She has 10 chickens and a rooster who crows a bunch, and I'm not concerned with any of that, or the smell except on hot days. My question is why 20 feet? Are there any problems I might have living this close to her chickens?
    Any advice would be appreciated. I like my neighbors and don't want to report them, but I need to understand if I'm in any kind of health risk. Thank you all in advance.
    Chicken friendly Stephanie [​IMG]

2. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    if the neighbor keeps up on their cleaning duties, the smell shouldn't be much of an issue, even on hot days. Poor housekeeping can also attract rats/mice, but again you would probably already know if your neighbors are the slobby type.

So, really, it's going to depend on what kind of a person your neighbor is.

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    No sweetie, no health risk, peace and quiet risk maybe! I love love love my girls but I admit they are noisy with or with out a rooster. Mine are in my front yard, the coop is aprox 40 feet away from my bedroom window and I can hear them. If the window is open I am not sleeping in, but that usually doesnt happen anyway! LOL

4. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

It might be best to ask the City since it's their rule but as long as they keep the coop clean there shouldn't be any health concerns, IMHO. You're a nice chicken neighbor, wish there were more like you. [​IMG]

We have a coop for youngsters right up against our house...or rather just 3 feet off. We've had no problems -- smell, flies, health concerns. It's been nice just to look out the window and see our "kids" or to talk to them. Although, when the roosters get to crowing and we're on the phone, people are like, "What was that? Was that a rooster?" [​IMG]

5. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Off hand I can't think of any health risks, unless she doesn't clean it and you get a lot of flies?? If you do decide that the coop is too close for comfort, please talk to her first. Best to come to an agreement instead of reporting and causing conflict. I bet she will share fresh eggs. Fresh Eggs are the best!!

[​IMG]

6. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    if your on speaking and friendly terms with neighbor.. maybe offer to help them move the coop down a bit farther from your bedroom window. . if they are any kind of decent people they will accept and maybe didnt even realize.. Or they're jerks and well do what you got to do..

I have my girls in my back yard and I dont have a problem with smell, or noise.. maybe its cause they're nice Southern hens.. ya'll hear me, now?

good luck and start by asking please first [​IMG]

)O(
    Pink

7. Alameda Stephanie

Sep 20, 2011
    Ya'll are the best!
    Thank you everyone- I didn't know if there were any Mad-Cow-Chicken disease I should be aware of... I did ask the gal at the city, but she didn't know why they stipulated 20 feet.

8. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Where I live it's 35 feet. I think cities choose arbitrary distances that they think will keep neighbors happy and far enough away from any potential noise or flies.

9. Alameda Stephanie

Sep 20, 2011
    35 feet. 20 feet... I think you're right, Sue. A "keep the peace" arbitrary distance.

10. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    No health risks, but it could be a bit noisy. My coop is over 100 feet from my bedroom window and I can faintly hear my rooster crowing, a bit more so if the window is open.

If it becomes too noisy, or smelly, and the neighbor is someone you get along with well, you might want to mention it. Most of us try to be good neighbors as well and will generally do our best to not disturb our neighbors.

You should feel free to go talk to them and check the chickens out, they are interesting animals. If your neighbor is the nice sort they'll be happy to have an ally in the neighborhood and probably reward you with some nice fresh eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by