I'm a chicken with my chickens!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wings, Jan 19, 2009.

1. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I have 5 six-month-old chickens (4 hens, 1 rooster). When they were little, we handled them every day. As they have gotten older, I have gotten less use to their sudden movements. I'm scared of my chickens!!! How pathetic is that??? [​IMG]
    So, I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem? Can you convince me that my chickens won't do anything to me, even though I know they really won't??? What can I do to solve this problem? HELP!!!

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Sit in the coop and watch them more? My chickens are getting crazy. The hens launch at me when I open the barn doors and they all scrap for the chance to hop on my head or shoulders. I have a rooster that dances for me, so when he goes a little cockeyed he makes me nervous... I've been flogged as a kid way too many times. Other than that, they're still my little chicks [​IMG]

3. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I love my chicks! I used to sit in the coop and just watch them, but I stopped. I think I'll just suck it up and go in there! [​IMG]

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I find that the best time to hold my chickens is when they are on the roost. They are very relaxed and not flighty.

It's important that we are able to pick them up and look under wings for mites and to check and see it they have lost weight. The more I familarize myself with each of them the more confident I feel about checking them to see if they are healthy.

The hens won't hurt you but i have never had a roo so I don't know about that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2009
  5. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Spend more time with them, take a chair out and sit with them, hold, talk to them, groom them, try feeding them from your hand. If you know what to expect from your chickens you will be able to enjoy them more. That's what I tell new beekeepers--by knowing what they expect of you and what and how they react to a treat/pest/scare or other things in their lives--you will know when to react and when to relax..Enjoy..

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Look at it this way: how much damage can a 4 pound bag of feathers really do to me?

You might think about blunting the tips of your roosters spurs just for your own piece of mind.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:remember youe eye, lee....you almost ended up looking like this guy..>>>[​IMG]....sorry...only kidding! i wouldnt be afraid a bird that i raised from a chick and had held alot....but..someone elses birds...well...i dont know...you just always have to be careful..and dont let them on your shoulders...right Lee?.....[​IMG]

8. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Get in there with your chicks and chilllllll [​IMG]

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:remember youe eye, lee....you almost ended up looking like this guy..>>>[​IMG]....sorry...only kidding! i wouldnt be afraid a bird that i raised from a chick and had held alot....but..someone elses birds...well...i dont know...you just always have to be careful..and dont let them on your shoulders...right Lee?.....[​IMG]

Um, yeah, do wear eye protection!

10. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    I used to be petrified of birds in general. All that crazy flapping! That's one of the reasons I have started out with bantams.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by