I'm a daddy :) first time cross rock parent questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by barrnyardmatt, Jun 9, 2011.

1. barrnyardmatt

barrnyardmatt New Egg

Jun 9, 2011
    G'day Friends,

Yesterday i just received my shipment of 50 very healthy and happy cross rock broilers. They are from what i can see staying warm. I built a brooder after the fassion of D. C. Kennard and V. D. Chamberlin's website http://www.plamondon.com/brooder.shtml they have water and feed. Here is my question if someone can help me as a new proud parent of these cute little balls of fluf.

1) i have noticed that some of them are sitting down. Is this normal? They look healthy but some are just sitting?

2) should the chicks have a constant supply of food? Or do i have to take it away part of the day so they don't grow too fast?

These are the main to questions i have if someone can help i'd really appreciate it thanks a bunch![​IMG]

2. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    They are probably just exhausted from getting shipped. Normal chicks need constant food, i don't know about meat birds.
    Why are you calling yourself their daddy if they're meat birds? Then when they grow up you'll be eating your own children!

3. barrnyardmatt

barrnyardmatt New Egg

Jun 9, 2011
    You are right [​IMG] Daddy is maybe not the right word! Thanks for the quick reply! Greatly appreciated.

4. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG]
    My meaties spend quite a bit of time laying down. If they aren't eating, drinking, or chasing me begging for treats they are laying down. I took my meaties food away at night, but that is up to you and how fast you want them to grow.

5. barrnyardmatt

barrnyardmatt New Egg

Jun 9, 2011
    so you take their food away at night right from the get go with the chicks?

6. barrnyardmatt

barrnyardmatt New Egg

Jun 9, 2011
    Julie, Just noticed you have a roo! I would totally love to have a roo! I'm originally from Australia and have the land for it. Where'd you get your roo?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by