I'm a dog walker...so I need a new place to take my crew!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kickinchicken, Mar 17, 2011.

1. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    OK, so I live in the god-awful state of Rhode Island....not by choice. Anyhow, I have owned a dog walking business for about 12 years and lately it seems that the towns I service have new, gung-ho dog officers who love to patrol my canine hot spots. So, now I am off to check out a location about 15 minutes away that would be ideal, for now. I found it on farmandland.com...I think. I resorted to looking for places like this because open space is impossible to come by. And I am getting sick of breaking up dog fights at the dog park. At least this way, i control who is playing together and there is little liability. My crew listens to me most of the time, yet it gets tough when you get a stupid dog owner at the dog park who insists that his dog is "ok" and he isn't! I hate incompetent dog owners.

Wish me luck!

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Good luck! How many dogs do you walk?

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Sorry, I'm uninformed - but so what if there are dog-police around? Are you breaking laws?

4. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    OK im confused if your walking the dogs how would that be a proublem with the dog officers.

5. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    In a lot of places like in most of the parks in our closest town, dogs are not allowed. If they catch you there, they'll give you a citation. They finally put in a dog park a few years ago and apart from walking the streets it's about the only place for people in the town to walk their dogs. Perhaps the OP has a similar situation...

6. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    I refuse to take my dogs to dog parks. There are too many stupid people with dogs that either have no manners or no OB training... and they create problems, as the OP stated.

7. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I was just saying that the other open areas may be like most of our parks... no dogs allowed which may be why the dog officers are a problem. The OP was looking for an open space and in some towns the dog park is the only open place where they are allowed.

8. FireTigeris

But we walk our dog on the sidewalks with clean up bags in hand - she's a greyhound so she's never off lead...

I walk other ppls' dogs when I pet/house sit- I walk the dog in that neighborhood for 30min to an hour (depending on the dog) - if that dog is leash mannered I take my dog too, if I'm also working obedience or leash manners I only walk that one.

Can you make friends with a church(place of worship of any kind), offer to check the doors and windows (visually) as you walk the dogs? Some churches would live the extra security many of them are only staffed a few times a week.

9. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    The service I offer specializes in off leash trips. My pack is trained during their 2 hour trip and up til about 4 years ago I would take my dogs to open spaces like fields and beaches. And yes, to an extent I am breaking the leash laws. But the dog parks are a joke. Owners who don't pick up after their dogs, bringing intact males and females, not watching their dogs as they instgate fights and blaming everyone elses dogs when their dogs are not controlled. It used to be very zen for me. Open space, 5-7 dogs running and playing, clear skies....now.....its just like a chore.
    This is why I am looking for a new spot. Ironically, Rhode Island is the Ocean State, but 9 out of 10 beaches are just gross, over patrolled or unsafe.

10. FireTigeris

Quote:You might need to change your practices- my only solution is to find a business that wants you around and get it in writing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by