I'm a duck person with one very lonely drake :(

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kaolru, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Kaolru

Kaolru Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    I used to have four Cayuga ducks. An adult hen and drake, and two month-old females of no relation. Well one of our goats was jumping down from a hay bale and landed on the one little female's leg, so now she's injured. Then early Saturday morning I realized, too late might I add, that my mother had left the babies in the outside pen all night. I woke up at four in the morning to find a skunk attacking the healthy duckling. It unfortunately died(so did that stupid skunk too!). Now I have a very lonely and injured female, and while I was visiting my father over night for father's day, my mother noticed that our adult hen was missing, but she didn't tell me this until the next day. So I'm pretty sure something got her. Now my drake is very lonely, and he doesn't get along with the young female. This would have never happened if they had been put up for the night like we usually do, but these things tend to happen when I leave, even if it's just for one day.

Now my drake doesn't know what to do with himself. He keeps checking the pond and checking the hen's nest, and he's very lonely. I want to try to find another Cayuga hen. I have revamped his house so that he WILL be safe at night. I refuse to lose another of my ducks. I just don't know where to look for another hen. I got mine online when they were babies, and that's too much of an expense and hassle since I only would end up getting a couple of ducklings. That and I would rather find another adult duck, or at least one that is six months old. My drake grew up with his hen, so you can understand why he's so upset.

I live in Clearfield County in West Central PA, so if you know of anyone who may have a Cayuga hen or even another young duck around a month old to keep my young one company as well, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Patience

Patience Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
  3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!!

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. So sorry for your and his loss. You can check Craigslist and also put a post in the Wanted to Buy section on the index page. More folks will see it there. Good luck. [​IMG]

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. So sorry for your losses [​IMG] Good luck [​IMG]

6. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    check the swap meets both here and on google.... one may be coming soon in an area near you

7. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    So sorry for your loss. I don't have ducks of my own, but lived by a pond once where some were located. The mated pairs would come into our yard to lay their eggs. I know this is difficult for the poor little guy. So sorry...

8. Kaolru

Kaolru Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Thank you guys. I am new to this forum so I can't post in that sub-forum yet, but I appreciate the welcomes. [​IMG]

9. broodytood

broodytood Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Swampville, Wa!
    [​IMG] Sorry about your ducks! Poor guy!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  10. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by