Im a dummy!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MommaBugg, Aug 22, 2011.

1. MommaBugg

MommaBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    NE MICHIGAN
    OK I feel like a COMPLETE DUMMY!

I just realised that my ducks may be laying. Once in awhile I was getting what I thought was just a splotchy egg from my EE hen... But I think this whole time I was seeing mallard/rouen eggs(not sure if theyre mallard or rouen)

I didnt know the ducks were laying yet, honestly I assumed theyd be bigger than a chicken egg, but come to think of it they are about the size of my BO and EE so it would make sense that the eggs would be about the same right?

Heres the problem.. I unknowingly stuck a duck egg in with this batch thats supposed to go in to lockdown tonight, thinking it was an EE egg... Is this going to hurt anything for the duck egg..I am posting a pic and if any of you think you can tell if its mallard egg please let me know!

Sorry about the quality of the pic btw

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Ducks take longer than chickens to hatch, so don't count it as a dude when you normally would a chicken egg.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    duck eggs take 28 days:) can you candle it?

4. MommaBugg

Mar 19, 2011
    NE MICHIGAN
    Quote:Yeah I know they take 28 days thats why I was worried about it because it'd take so much longer, and not be able to be turned while the others are in lockdown. Is the humidity and temp the same for ducks as for chickens?

I tried to candle, its just too dark. Is the egg in the pic I posted a duck egg then?

5. gdhp

gdhp Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Scilly
    We hatched all our ducks at the same time as chickens. We just had to turn them by hand once the incubator stopped turning them. Pain in the arse, but worth it when you have a beautiful duckling a week later.

As a general rule duck eggs tend to need a bit more humidity (all those wet duck bottoms). But I've not had a problem with it in the past. I occassionally use to a dab a bit of water on the egg with a paint brush. Not sure if that's advised but they hatched, so you know...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Duck eggs get bigger as the hen matures. Early duck eggs are usually about the size of a large chicken egg. Personally, I wouldn't try to hatch eggs from a very young duck hen, as the duckling is likely to be small and weak due to the smaller size of the egg and the immaturity of the mother's reproductive system.

When you are ready to hatch duck eggs, you can hatch them together with chickens pretty easily by setting the ducks to incubate a week before the chickens--that way they're all set to hatch at the same time. Just be aware--they take up to three days from pip to hatch, MUCH longer than chickens, so don't get in a hurry and rush the little booger out of the shell.

Good luck!

7. MommaBugg

Mar 19, 2011
    NE MICHIGAN
    Thanks everyone for yor advice.. Now I just need to know, dispite the crummy picture.. Does anyone recognise this as a mallard egg?? Two tone olive splotchy coloring.. I will try to get a better pic posted.

Also the egg in the pic was so much more pronounced in color that it made me think..I didnt put it in the bator though, I had one in there already and I wasnt ready for more splashers.. I would like to wait until next spring before hatching more(I refuse to brood ducks and chicks at the same time EVER again!)

But I am not going to just take the egg out. Maybe he will make it..

I just need to know if this is a mallard egg. It looks similar to what I found pics of, but I would just like confirmation.

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    There's no way to know for sure, but it def looks like a duck egg to me. Congrats!

And I bet the little one in the incubator will be fine. Have you candled it? I would leave it in too--no harm in trying. I just wouldn't put a whole big batch in until the eggs mature. Good luck!

9. jesus freak

jesus freak Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Idaho
    Congradulations! [​IMG] hope they hatch [​IMG]

10. MommaBugg

Mar 19, 2011
    NE MICHIGAN
    Thanks again everyone, and dont worry, I would never take an egg out once I start to incubate it unless I was POSITIVE it was dead. I hope this one makes it too, and I thought duck eggs should be bigger, thats why I was fooled! My EE and mallards are up to something LOL jk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by