I'm a horrible Mother Please Help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken mamma, Apr 27, 2008.

1. chicken mamma

chicken mamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    North Texas
    Ok, I just realized something, and please everyone, don't hate me for this. I just new we had some starter feed for the chicks that are coming tomorrow, so when I went to the feed store the other day to get the finisher feed for the girls I already have I didn't even think about it. Side note, Andy just lost his job and we are on very hard times right now. I just went outside to fill the feeders and get everything ready for tomorrow, and I dont have start feed, nor the money to just go pick some up. What am I to do!?!!? They'll be here tomorrow, they are coming with some gro-gel plus, but they will need more then that. Does anyone have any home made recipes, something that will work for at least a day or two? I hate this and feel like the worst chicken mamma in the world!

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Do you have a feed store that sells it by the pound? If you are getting just a few chicks you could buy a few pounds and it would last several days. I paid for my last bag of chick starter with the change in the bottom of my purse.

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Ok Ok! Calm down sweetie! You are Not the worst chicken momma! I hate to admit that I am not sure what you can feed babies. I know you can feed them yogurt and oatmeal when they are a few weeks old but thats all I know. I am new at this and prob shouldn't be doling out to much advice. However someone will post real soon with some help. I just know it.[​IMG] Hang in there!

4. chicken mamma

Mar 19, 2008
    North Texas
    I do, I'll have to find out how much per pound. I get paid on Wednesday, then they can have all the chicken starter feed they could ask for. How ironic, I got into chickens to make a little bit of money, and now i dont have the money to make a little bit of chicken! What about egg yolk? I gave that to my pullets when they were sick, and that seemed to do wonders.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  5. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Are any of those bags unopened? If so can you maybe take it to the store and do a trade?

6. chicken mamma

Mar 19, 2008
    North Texas
    Quote:No I just bought one 50 pound bag. I'll call my feed store in the morning. Perhaps they'll even trade a red star for some chicken feed, the benifits of living in a small town.

7. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    I just purchased chick starter for .59 a pound - so if your store sells by the pound maybe you can go piggybank hunting for enough for a few days!

Louella

8. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:[​IMG] Thats cute!! I can so relate!! Just keep your head up and hang in there!![​IMG]

9. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Roll about $10 in change and you should have it. I know that some people have that in bottles around their house. Good luck and I am sure they will be fine.

10. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I can completely relate to your post. You are most certainly not a bad momma!

My DH has been out of work for going on eight months now. I keep asking him if we should cancel our order of chicks for this year and he says "no way". I have to cancel by this Friday as they come next week.

He's out picking up big boxes today to get their brooders ready. I, too, have to find the pennies to get them their feed. I think we're getting the governments stimulus check in the next week or two so that will be such a blessing for us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by