I'm a little concerned after her first egg!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Audioslave, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Audioslave

Audioslave New Egg

Jul 8, 2013
    Rep of Ireland
    Hi all,
    My oldest hen 23 weeks has just laid her first egg. Excitement was short lived as I noticed the hen wasn't quite her self. She came out of were she laid and it was like she surrendered herself to the dog. Luckily the dog didn't attack her and just sniffed around her. She usually runs to her coop if she sees the dog is out. Right now she is lying in her pen excatly were I placed her. I gave her water and food which she did take some of each but as of yet hasnt moved. Her wings are spread ever so slightly. Is this normal behaviour after the first egg?

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    No I wouldn't say it was exactly normal behavior.it really depends on the bird. I know some of my first layers became very nervous after but nothing like you described. I would give some vitamins and see if that helps perk her up some. Possibly could have drained her of her vitamins. I'd use a A D E and B mix. I know you can get packets of A D E together from first state vet online and they also have a wonderful B to mix with it called vita pro B. This is the regiment I give my own flock when they are down and not themselves. It usually helps. You haven't noticed any other symptoms such as mucus or coughing or sneezing have you? Also check to make sure her crop is emptying as it should. I think the vitamins Will help as long as she does not have any other symptoms. Laying might have depleted her vitamins a bit. And just caused her the lethergie. I'd give it a try and see if it helps. Best wishes and hope she gets back to herself soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by