I'm a little concerned

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HorsesandBirds, May 18, 2010.

1. HorsesandBirds

HorsesandBirds Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2010
    So I let my babies go outside to play in the grass today for the first time. They were out for a couple of hours, and I kept an eye on them the whole time. They seemed happy and comfortable, and they had their food and water dishes with them. Since I brought them back in, though, they have done absolutely nothing but sleep. I've seen them get up here and there to eat or drink, but otherwise they are sacked out. It's been about 5 hours since they came back in. Did I harm them by letting them be outside too soon (they're about 2 weeks tomorrow) or do you think they're just plain exhausted and they'll be fine once they've rested? It was a big day for them.

12 are male Cornish Cross (which I've noticed tend to be lazy butts anyway) and 3 are female Barred Rocks.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I wouldn't worry about them....sounds like they're just tired from their day at the playground.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Nah. I often let mine out in the first week. Doesn't seem to hurt them any. But they get bored in the brooder--I think maybe being outside wears them out, and being inside is boring so they sleep. [​IMG] Enjoy.

4. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    I bet they're just fine. Conked out...they're just babies [​IMG]

5. HorsesandBirds

HorsesandBirds Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2010
    OK good! Thanks for alleviating my worries. I was starting to feel like a bad chick mom. Now I feel like a good mom... they had such a great day they are all tuckered out! One nice thing is with all the sleeping, they haven't been making such a mess of their brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by