I'm a little miffed...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BettyR, Jul 21, 2011.

1. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I placed an order with Ideal for 8 Production Reds pullets and 8 Americana pullets and 2 Americana Roos.

My postman came to the door at 8 o'clock this morning with my chicks, I was totally surprised!!! Luckily I had already set up the brooder or I would have been in a pickle. They said that they would notify me 7 days in advance of the shipment but I had not received any notice. So I checked my emails just to make sure I hadn't missed it and the email was sent last night. I'm guessing it was sent as they were closing up the office for the day. So in effect I received the notice that they were shipped and the chicks on the same day.

Also I'm not sure what I got. I recognize 4 of the chicks as Americanas and 4 as Production Reds but the rest are mystery chicks. 4 are a pale yellow and the rest are a pale redish color. Oh well if they at least turn out to be 2 roos and the rest hens I suppose it's ok.

My two older roos have just about had it. Out of 6 eggs I'm lucky to get 2 that are fertile.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Enjoy your new babies! [​IMG]

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Not sure what you're miffed about.... [​IMG]

Unfortunatley, most hatcheries at not known for their communications skills - glad you were ready for them! Sounds like all arrived healthy?

4. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    When I ordered from them they said I would get a notification the day that they shipped. I didn't get the notification until TWO DAYS AFTER I had already picked up my chicks from the PO. I already knew what day they'd arrive on though so I was plenty ready. I just thought it was funny.

I was like, "Um...I got my chicks two days ago. Thanks though...."

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I'm sorry that they aren't what you expected. Are you able to post pictures of your babies? EEs have a huuuuge variation in coloration, it's still possible that you actually did get what you ordered. Folks here will be able to tell just from pics of them.

Good luck!

6. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    It's all relative, i guess. I would have been pleasantly surprised to have gotten my chicks a day earlier than expected. Instead, mine came a day later than i thought they would (not from Ideal), and I worried myself sick over them, due to the heat, humidity and my distrust of the USPS to treat them with respect.
    It's all good, though--they arrived, are healthy and I'm already in love with them! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Quote:Post pictures if you can, the hatcheries sell mislabeled EE's so you most likely got all the correct birds, but since EE's are so many different colors they are like a box of chocolates, just never know what you might get.

8. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I'll post a picture this evening or tomorrow morning. We had a friend call who got stuck with no ride in Mississippi on his way to Tennessee...so we had to go help out. We just got home and I need a little time to decompress.

9. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:FL Chickens...
    I just noticed your Great Pyrenees, how are they as watch dogs? My dogs are WONDERFUL watch dogs and extremely protective of the family but they suck at getting rid of predators. They will chase the critters away but they had no killer instinct when it comes to protecting livestock.

When a stranger comes to the house they will just about push me down trying to keep themselves between me and the stranger and if anyone was dumb enough to try and reach across them they would pull back a bloody stump. But chasing away predators is more of a game to them than anything else. I was thinking about adding a Pyrenees to the family but I really don't know anything about them.

Do they shed a lot and how do they react around strangers?

10. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    My girls came from mypetchicken.com, and their web site says, (my wording) that peeps hatched on Sunday, are shipped on Monday, but are not considered late until 5:00pm on Thursday. Mine arrived on Tuesday. I had called my post office the week before and left my phone #, and they called me as soon as they heard my peeping package. My daughter's schedule allowed for her to be home to accept delivery, so the package went out on the truck for regular delivery. (If it had been Monday or Thursday, I had arranged to pick them up.) Every one was just fine when they arrived, so, from my point of view, it was all good.

Hope your babies are doing well, and grow up happy and healthy!

mm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by