Im a little ticked off at my Rooster...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by tothemoon, Oct 18, 2009.

1. tothemoon

tothemoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Texas
    I have one standard size mutt rooster that my daughter brought home from a school hatching project in May. He has always seemed like he was such a sweet roo, but then today I was walking by him and he jumped at me, grabbed my pants leg in his beak and started clawing at my feet.[​IMG] I had to smack him upside the head because he wouldnt let go. What was that all about???

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You've been flogged. As Ruby in Cold Mountain said, I can't abide no flogging rooster, LOL. If he's breeding age, the hormones are raging and he's starting to show aggression. If he's younger, he may be testing boundaries, but that will have to be nipped in the bud, if you can.

3. Stephanie-n-Hayden

Stephanie-n-Hayden Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Yep, you have officially been flogged! Good luck with him. It can be difficult to stop a hormonally outraged roo. Does he have any hens to dominate? You may want to get him some.

4. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah...I find the best way to deal with this is to boot them across the yard. Or...
    Every chance you get, loom over him. Don't really chase him, but insure that he recognizes your presence as the big cheese.
    Sounds like he's testing boundaries. This makes the treatment much more effective, because when they are acting on hormones, they just don't give up!

5. ke.appaloosas

ke.appaloosas Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    Appaloosa Heaven
    See my recent post "Roo with a Tude" for LOTS of wonderful ways to deal with this..I just went thru it and everyone was so helpful! Good Luck [​IMG]

6. tothemoon

tothemoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks ke.appaloosas for the thread. I love the name you gave him......CrockPot! [​IMG] Also, I went to your website, beautiful horses! I have loved horses all my life but have never add the pleasure of owning. My daughter also loves horses so maybe she will be able to have some and I can come visit her. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by