1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm a nervous chicken mama!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tracylhl, Sep 10, 2010.

1. tracylhl

tracylhl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Myakka City, Florida
    This is my first incubation (as I've mentioned repeatedly today). Today is day 20. I had one peeping last night and pipped a big whole in the underside of the shell today about 9:30 am. Hasn't moved since. I can feel it moving if I touch the shell but it hasn't further pecked through. I have a second one that was peeping and rocking like crazy earlier today. It's still now and I see no sign of pipping. What would you do? I can't bear to let them just dye without trying to help but I don't know if I've really given them enough time on their own to try! Out of 22 or 23 eggs, I'm down to only 8 that I think were developing when I candled them. From those, I've only got these 2 that are doing anything yet! My kids are so anxious to see one hatch. I will be so disappointed if I get not a single hatcher from the group!

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Don't start panicking until day 21. They're probably just resting. [​IMG]

3. tracylhl

May 20, 2009
    Myakka City, Florida
    Really? Even after pipping 10 hours or more ago?

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Pipping is hard work, especially when you only weigh a few ounces. [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I had a pip and nothing further for almost 48 hours, earlier this week. I figgered it was dead. Wrong-o! Healthy chick in the brooder now.

6. tracylhl

May 20, 2009
    Myakka City, Florida
    Quote:That gives me hope! I've had one that has pipped for 24 hrs. As of this morning, it's whole beak is sticking out and the egg is rocking. If the beak is out, how will he use it to unzip? I've got lots to learn!

7. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    I've had 3 hatches so far, and the 4th in the bator now...and I'm ALWAYS a nervous wreck from day 18-21!!! I don't think that ever will change!!! GOOD LUCK [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by