1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm a new duck mommy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Darklingstorm, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    I have two 4-week old Khaki Campbell ducklings that now follow me around the yard and quack very loudly till they hear my voice and find me. What is really funny is that they respond to the word "what" more than anything else. I say "what" and they cock their heads to the side (like a dog listening) then make a bee line to me. They don't let me get too close yet but I can't be more than 4 feet away either. It's rather funny to watch because my son (2 yr) and then the ducklings follow me all over they place.
    When I do go into the house, they follow as far as they can then "park" and wait for my return outside.
    Lord help me when they figure out how to climb steps and can follow me into the house. I now spend a lot more time outside then I used to.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    That's a blessing with ducks - I also spend more time outside! They sound so cute!

What do you do to protect them from predators?

3. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Don't have much in the way of predators here (in town) except hawks. And I have several nesting cardinals and blue jays that do a great job of keeping hawks away right now. As for at night, we do have raccoons but all the chicks and ducklings are secured away in brooder boxes in the garage (under lock and key). We are building coops that are very secure (I hope) so when they go out to them, they will be safe as well.
    Actually my biggest concern with predators is dogs. We have a fenced in yard and two dogs of our own. Don't trust our dogs either, so they also stay in a fenced in separate area.
    But can't protect from everything, so hoping for the best and doing what I can to make them safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by