I'm a new Mama !!!! (eggs hatching under hens)...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mojo Chick'n, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I have a chickie !!!

Just one so far, he's a bantam, and I hope the two hens who are sitting on the same nest don't squish him.

The story goes... I have had a broody hen for some time now, but I always took the eggs. I finally took pity on her and let her have the bantam hen's eggs to sit on - once she had 5 eggs, the banty decided she wanted to sit on her own eggs - so I have had them BOTH in the same box sitting on eggs. (and in this heat, I don't know how they stood it).

One of the eggs hatched this morning. He is so small, and not really loud - but I don't know how long he's been out. He is dry, but really warm from being under the two hens.
    I hope he lives, and I hope the other eggs hatch out ok.

Regardless, unless I want some really special chickens, I think I'll be doing this from now on - it is so much easier and so much more cool than buying chicks and not know what I've paid for (hens or roos - I buy straight run, at the feed store). This way, hens or roos, I didn't pay a thing for them.

WOOHOO!!!!! I'm a chicken mama!!!!!

Peace -
    Meriah

2. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Congrats to you and the hens!

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Here's some pics of baby and mama(s)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Isn't he adorable ??!!

Peace -
    Meriah

4. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Congratulations!!!! I can't wait for my Buff Orpington female to hatch out and that just makes it worse! I want to see my babies now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by