IM A NEW MAMA TO SILKIES! Help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by traccy123, Aug 1, 2013.

1. traccy123

traccy123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Ok the title must have freaked you out. So I'll cut to the chase. I have two silkies and when the female started laying eggs I took them in and put them in an incubator. It's was going perfect even tough this is the first time I've ever tried to hatch eggs. There were four in total. I was hand tuning them and candling them every two or three days. The temperature was fine and so was the humidity but somehow two died! Right around the 17th day before I was about to put them in lock down the next day. I was candling them when I saw no breathing in egg C and D. So two survived and they hatched!! beginners luck I guess! But now Im not so sure on how to take care of a baby silkie! Egg B hatched around 10:15 am and egg A hatched around 4:36 pm and it is midnight as I right this so they are going to be a day old soon and in a few hours or days they might be getting hungry and thirsty and I'm not even sure if they are males or a females! HELP ME!

What's the best way to house them?!?
    What should I feed them?!?
    I want to keep them in the house, like a house pet..is that ok for the silkie?!?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    What's the best way to house them?!? For newborn chicks, in a brooder of course!
    What should I feed the?!? Chick feed!
    I want to keep them in the house, like a house pet..is that ok for the silkie?!? Fine. Actually, they are probably the most popular house chicken breed.

3. 13 chickens

13 chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    [​IMG]
    this is what I use as a brooder box and I currently have two silkie chicks in it, you can buy medicated starter feed for them at Orschlen's, you wont be able to tell if they are male or female until they get older, and I don't see why you could not keep them inside as pets

4. traccy123

Apr 5, 2013
    Thanks you both and that's a cool brooder and I have more questions

How can I toilet train them?
    Should I get them vaccinated?

5. CowGrrrl

Jul 20, 2013
    Medicated feed is no substitute for good management. If your chicks are healthy and strong they shouldn't need it.

6. CowGrrrl

Jul 20, 2013
    I think it's impossible to potty train them yourself [​IMG] But I have a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana/White Silkie cross bantam roo that was learned to go the bathroom in my dog's food bowl. Needless to say the bowl he poops in is empty,,,,we have another one that he doesn't poop in for the dogs. Hehe

7. traccy123

Apr 5, 2013
    Haha so did he just started using that bowl himself or you put in that bowl every time it's looks like he was gonna pee or poo XD

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  8. 13 chickens

13 chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    i gave all my batches of chicks medicated feed and they were all healthy and strong and they are doing fine, is it a bad idea to give them medicated feed or can i continue?

9. jammyjammy2112

jammyjammy2112 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2012
    ireland
    you can keep them in a bird cage or a box with a heat lamp silkies are very frendly and will love living in the house but you migth have to buy a chicken diaper and watch out they will proble want to be mamas some day feed them chick feed i dont use medicated feed they should be fine :)

10. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    I have always given my chicks medicated food and they turn out fine. I think it's just a matter of organic VS. inorganic as medicated chick feed isn't organic. I'm not saying that's true or not so please don't take it as fact. The only fact I know about chickens is that there are no facts lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by