1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm a new member in California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by daesee, Jan 2, 2013.

1. daesee

daesee Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I'm a new BYC member in California - SF Bay/Tri Valley area. Although my husband raised chickens as a kid, and I've done a few school incubation/hatching projects, this is our first stab at a tiny suburban backyard flock.

We had a bit of a rocky start with a few not so healthy feed store chicks, then a devastating hawk attack [​IMG], but we seem to be having great luck with our current SL Wyandotte and Barred Rock pullets. We hope to add a few more pullets soon and are looking forward to eggs this spring.

I've found this site incredibly helpful the last several years and want to thank all of you for posting on everything from worming chickens, incubating eggs, coop design, predator protection, etc. It's wealth of information. I'm getting the acronyms down (DE, BOSS and my SLW pullet), I just need to figure out this forum and thread thing!

I look forward to participating, meeting other "chicken people" and continuing to learn!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Keep plugging at it. After a while the forum is actually quite easy to navigate. So glad that you have joined.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. clfromok

clfromok Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Hastings Ok
    Yes youre right-the peeps here are so friendly & helpful. I'm new & so thankful to have found BYC
    Welcome & happy new year!

7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

8. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC glad you joined. :)

9. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Oh no! Don't give up hope, chickens are really fun! I've been raising them for almost 15 years and I love them! Welcome to the BYC flock!

10. daesee

daesee Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    San Francisco Bay Area
    No chance in giving up . We are quitre attached to the two little girls we have now and in fact I'm trying to convince my husband to build a larger coop! Wish we had a larger yard too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by