I'm a new member...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SOLARITY, Feb 13, 2011.

1. SOLARITY

SOLARITY New Egg

Feb 13, 2011
    Hi, my name is Patty... I reside in Portland, Oregon, and am very pleased to have stumble onto your site. Becoming a member is an honor for me. Thank you!

I recently became the adopted mom of an injured Bantam chick. I'm guessing that Yokie is approximately a month old. She/He's doing great and is currently being kept in a lg plastic container in the family rm where he/she gets lots of hands-on attention & lap time. I'd like to keep Yokie as a pet. However, I know very little about chickens and would greatly appreciate someone letting me know how to go about creating a happy relationship with him/her. What do pet chickens like? Can they really be good pets? Can they be trained in any way? How do I Know if Yokie is happy or wants something? How much exercise does he/she need. Gosh...I have a thousand questions and will be grateful for any information or advice.

FYI: This is my very first Forum...I'm not sure what to expect!

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

3. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome from Northern California. [​IMG] Chickens make great pets. You are in the right place to learn what you will need to do to take care of Yokie. The first thing I would tell you is to make sure he/she always has food (chick starter) and water available. This is especially important if he/she is only about a month old.

4. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi ---this is my first forum too..I lurked at least a year...I like how they run the site and the members are very nice..so come on and get addicted like me...[​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Welcome. People do keep house chickens, in diapers, who become attached to a human, but generally they do best outdoors around other chickens. You can train them to do a few things, but I don't think anyone has really housebroken a chicken.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

8. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG]

9. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] & [​IMG] [​IMG] Lots of lap & petting is a great start. I raised a turkey inside, & she got big enough that we had to put her out. She's now 7 & STILL runs up to be held & stroked!

10. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Welcome Yokie to BYC and hello from Ohio [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by