I'm a new member...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SOLARITY, Feb 13, 2011.

SOLARITY New Egg

Feb 13, 2011
    Hi, my name is Patty... I reside in Portland, Oregon, and am very pleased to have stumble onto your site. Becoming a member is an honor for me. Thank you!

I recently became the adopted mom of an injured Bantam chick. I'm guessing that Yokie is approximately a month old. She/He's doing great and is currently being kept in a lg plastic container in the family rm where he/she gets lots of hands-on attention & lap time. I'd like to keep Yokie as a pet. However, I know very little about chickens and would greatly appreciate someone letting me know how to go about creating a happy relationship with him/her. What do pet chickens like? Can they really be good pets? Can they be trained in any way? How do I Know if Yokie is happy or wants something? How much exercise does he/she need. Gosh...I have a thousand questions and will be grateful for any information or advice.

FYI: This is my very first Forum...I'm not sure what to expect!
  2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
  3. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome from Northern California. [​IMG] Chickens make great pets. You are in the right place to learn what you will need to do to take care of Yokie. The first thing I would tell you is to make sure he/she always has food (chick starter) and water available. This is especially important if he/she is only about a month old.
  4. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    [​IMG] Hi ---this is my first forum too..I lurked at least a year...I like how they run the site and the members are very nice..so come on and get addicted like me...[​IMG]
  5. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Welcome. People do keep house chickens, in diapers, who become attached to a human, but generally they do best outdoors around other chickens. You can train them to do a few things, but I don't think anyone has really housebroken a chicken.
  6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.
  7. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
  8. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
  9. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] & [​IMG] [​IMG] Lots of lap & petting is a great start. I raised a turkey inside, & she got big enough that we had to put her out. She's now 7 & STILL runs up to be held & stroked!
  10. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Welcome Yokie to BYC and hello from Ohio [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by