Im a new mommy and its prob nothing but....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Shiyanne, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Shiyanne

Shiyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2017
    Florida
    I have a khaki cambell i bought from our local rural king, (bought 2) but one seems to me to be walking and sitting wierd. He walks laid all the way back on his 'elbows' not up on his feet. He also lays down alot and kinda to one side... Is this normal? Am i just over nervous at being a new mommy? Ive since learned the male needed more girls so went back and got 4 more.. They all walk 'normal'. He eats and drinks, baths and preens great. He is approximately 4 weeks old. Altho when he is startled he will run/waddle fast like normal...

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Shiyanne Have you been supplementing their feed with Nutritional yeast or Niacin tabs? What are you feeding them most of us use chick starter since we can get duckling/waterfowl feed and there isn't enough niacin in the feed that water fowl need to keep them from having leg issues. Can you post a pic of how he is sitting? Adding Nutritional yeast is an easy fix most of the time.

1 person likes this.
  3. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    Hello @Shiyanne , and [​IMG]! There is so much information here, and even more warm, welcoming people - because what cruel, mean people would ever think to look on a chicken forum?
    Okay, so about your little KC:
    Basically, I am seconding and supporting everything Miss Lydia said. It would be helpful, as she said, to see a picture or video of your little duck.
    Also, are the other four that you bought definitely girls? There could be potential problems if some of them are boys.

4. Shiyanne

Jan 22, 2017
    Florida
    I am feeding them chick starter. I am still learning bout supplements, was told they didnt need it yet? So i will get some? As for girls and boys, i dont really know but lady at animal place 'did a trick' to see which was boy or girl.. So i guess ill find out after they grow a little? Yes i have pics, ill try and put one on.[​IMG][/IMG]

5. Shiyanne

Jan 22, 2017
    Florida
    [​IMG]

6. QuackSpeak

Jan 1, 2017
    I'm not sure if anything's wrong, @Miss Lydia will probably have an idea. Sorry... But is he really four weeks old? [​IMG]
    Also: Does he walk the way he is sitting? And how does he act otherwise? Does he seem tired, depressed, or just his happy usual self, besides his legs?

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Start the lil one on Nutritional yeast 1 Tab to 1 cup of feed. They actually need to be on it right off. It can take as little as 3 days and as long as 7 to see improvement. If you decide to go with Niacin It needs to be plain and crushed up into their water. They can all be on either or. 150mgs of niacin per gallon of water. Which ever of these need to be used till 10 weeks of age.

What precious ducklings.. and Welcome to BYC!

8. Shiyanne

Jan 22, 2017
    Florida
    Yeast... Like what you use to make bread? 1 tab as in 1 little packet? Im srry im sooo uneducated about this, im learning. Can all of the ducks have it? And thank you. I ended up getting 2 roans, 1 peking, 2 magpie and 1 khaki. And idk true age, i bought original 2 ducks 2 weeks ago, other 4 was 2 days ago. How old do they have to be to sell in stores?

9. QuackSpeak

Jan 1, 2017
    Where did you get them? Tractor Supply Co? Or different?

10. Shiyanne

Jan 22, 2017
    Florida
    He is always sitting, will walk kinda, but on his elbows. Unless startled then waddles like off kilter but up on feet. Everything else seems fine. He loves the bathtub, washes himself and plays.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by